• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pike's new Inka Heart transplant picture thread!

Hey all, Pike from Melbourne, FL just brought me his VERY NICE yet tired fully-smogged Inka car with another great engine to drop in so I will try and keep this thread updated as I go.

If lucky, it may have hit 80 mph with a tailwind downhill so we're both helping this fixes that issue. Enjoy the start, I've just recently pulled the radiator, a few accessories, and the hood to get ready to lift out the tired engine. Coolant is all drained and oil is all drained, next step will be to unhook the transmission and motor mounts and see if she's ready to come out. Let me know if anyone wants any specific pictures!

1ze9flh.jpg

2elxonq.jpg

206e8md.jpg

241uuk0.jpg

n1dtlw.jpg

2ljmddc.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "new" Engine was rebuilt in 2002 with e12 Cyl. head, Mahle pistons, Shrick camshaft etc. Plus I put the Cannon intake, Weber 32/36. 85 amp alternator, IE motor mounts, mechanical dizzy, TEP header with ANSA sport exhaust. I told Curtis that on the way to Orlando, I had the gas pegged and it topped out at 78 MPH. Every once in a while, the car would speed up to about 82 MPH. I'm sure Curtis will do a great job and I can't wait. Thoughts of the monthly Orlando meets and maybe even V&V (although it's probably too late) are starting to cross my mind....

Thank you Pike, I see you found the thread before I could even email it to you! The swap is pretty straight forward and my shop supervisor pictured above keeps me working late hours to knock it out and get it done quicka dn right.

More updates soon, I hope to have the motor out tonight or tomorrow if all goes well!

Exhaust is off and tranny is all unbolted from the motor and ready to be pulled out. I turned the car around so I can get the engine hoist in there to pull the motor ASAP. I may need a tetnus shot to work around this exhaust, but the car amazingly rust free! New headers and rest of the exhaust to be installed with the new motor!

b6oumt.jpg

1zydelc.jpg

Today was a good day, the motor is out and I have quite the list of cleaning and small wiring projects to knock out before I drop the motor back in on Saturday morning. I will swap the clutch and flywheel over tonight and prep the engine bay however possible. I have never seen so much smog equipment in one place in my life. Just having this new motor without it will make the car look MILES better! As you can see in the pictures, the cooling system hasn't been cleaned/flushed in years. I will be ordering new heater hoses today and flushing that system out ASAP before they go back on. Enjoy the pictures!

vra8v4.jpg

2jdrqtt.jpg

2usjxn4.jpg

1gjeu.jpg

I will have my inka re-registered early june. I plan to get the shell VIN's and Title from home the first week of june. I would be down for a nice group drive along the coast. Although i think i will have the slowest (stock) 2002 there.

Pike- I cannot wait for you to get her back. Im excited to take her for a spin. :)

'74 '02
E60 535i
e36 ///M3

Sorry for the lack of daily updates, work has been very busy but the progress on the car is going great! This weekend while the old engine was out, I took the opportunity to pressure wash the engine bay of many years of sludge. The engine bay itself looks like it was coated with many years of rust inhibitors and would not budge, even with strong degreaser cleaners and direct pressure. However, the subframe lost a couple pounds of dirt in the process and looks pretty good! While I had the room, I made sure to put the new steering coupler in and to thin some wiring. More of that to come soon!

Saturday night I put some long hours in and got the new motor mostly in place and got to a good stopping point on the project for the night. Sunday, as an easy day, Pike came and took the old tired motor as well as the large pallet it was on to help me clear out some room so we could still move forward on the project.

As of today the motor is in with its new urethane mounts, the headers are on with new gasket and look amazing, the new 002 distributor is in place, heater flushed with new heater hoses installed, all emissions smog wiring and relays are gone, and the things are coming together quickly! Enjoy the pics!

2iuoxtd.jpg

5ex3sn.jpg

zxlgtl.jpg

2zg9c0m.jpg

2z6vuw7.jpg

2804yw.jpg

2ppfrzp.jpg

1052mw6.jpg

This weekend was a good one! I got the car all back together and she runs great. A little tuning and exhaust to weld together and she'll be back on the road, good to go!

I first cut out the factory battery brace since it is no longer used and cleared up A LOT of room in the engine bay. I made sure all hoses were on, tightened everything up, checked all fluids and with a little distributor tweaking, she fired right up! To finish it off, it now has a great looking Ansa as well for a great sound. Enjoy!

4h5yz7.jpg

jqm3h0.jpg

1g3tj.jpg

2yw8y8m.jpg