• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good locksmith in Chicago

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yesterday I went to a locksmith to have copy of my gas cap key made and a key made for my unlocked trunk (I got the car w/o trunk key). The locksmith (Dexters on Halsted) failed on both counts: no blanks for the gas cap; couldn't remove the lock mechanism without a key.

In the archives here people say that some locksmiths have the blanks. Anyone in the Chicagoland area have any recommendations? (If not I'll have to go to a BMW dealer.)

Thanks in advance!

Hugh

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea that keys would be such an issue!

Since I'm new here, I'm not really up to speed on all the '02 events. Is the MidAmerica fest the one in South Bend?

Hugh

Hugh,

As a suggestion, you may be able to buy the blanks from the dealer and then have them trace cut by a local lock smith. ( well at least in the case of the gas cap key) but they are steel blanks so some locksmiths get cranky about that.

Cheers,

Martin

1972 "Canadian spec" Polaris 2000tii Touring

1969 Chamonix 2000 A

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 year later...