• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dizzy cap turns

vintage_car

There are two types of dizzy locating methods on our cars. Some dizzy bodies have a slot to receive a tab on the bottom of the cap, and the others are the reverse - they have a tab to fit into a slot on the bottom of the cap to locate it. Now, if you have a cap with the female slot, and a dizzy with the same thing, your cap can move around the perimeter of the dizzy. Easy enough to check out. You need a male and a female.

Bob Napier

well ..... during the long life time of your car,

and poor distributor, at some time someone

felt that the tiny metal tab held on with one tiny screw

wasn't need any more - probably at one time

some hack installed the 'wrong' distributor cap lacking

locating tab notch.

The original locating tab engaged into a notch

on the cap -

wait for it -

to keep the cap from turning, and positive mounting.

The 'wrong' (read generic) cap without a locating notch

wouldn't fit your car with the metal tab = so your tab

is at the bottom of the neighbors pool now.

find a used distributor for a tab, and if your present cap lacks

the tab notch - order a 'correct' cap from any BMW dealer.

The tab is seen in this photo with the screw holding the

spring clip next to the condenser

reset DWELL, then TIMING.

Yes, a moving cap will auto adjust your timing

from heat and vibration

02IGNITIONTIMING.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

There are two types of dizzy locating methods on our cars. Some dizzy bodies have a slot to receive a tab on the bottom of the cap, and the others are the reverse - they have a tab to fit into a slot on the bottom of the cap to locate it. Now, if you have a cap with the female slot, and a dizzy with the same thing, your cap can move around the perimeter of the dizzy. Easy enough to check out. You need a male and a female.

Bob Napier

+1 for Napes... compare www.BavAuto.com part no. 03 019 (female/more common 2002 distrib cap) with part no. 03 010 (male tab on underside).

I had a spinning dizzy using part 03 019, and part no. 03 010 solved it for me. FWIW, my distrib cap also had reverse points, but I don't know if that makes any difference or applies to you (see my prev post re: reverse points).

This is just what worked for me... so I am not sure if it applies for you. I would, however, strongly recommend emailing a picture of distributor cap to Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent. He will likely be able to tell you right away what you have and what you need. Carl cautioned me about ordering any part without first seeing pictures as he called many 2002 distributors "Frankendistributors" with a hodgepodge of various parts so that they are hard to order parts. I would hate for you to get the wrong part... which I initially did.

Good luck -

Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst