• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

32/36 conversion

Frenchee

Okay, so Jan and I removed the old solex and put in a 32 26.

I tried to follow what was going on but I got lost in some places. This is to the best of my explanation.

We got the carb installed, set the spring and linkage. When we pulled on the linkage it would rev and then wouldn't go back down to a low idle. We moved the spring down a hole on the linkage and now it goes back down to a low idle but the pedal is really really really firm and when you press the gas it kind of chokes and doesnt accelerate. have to slowly press it.

Anyone have this happen when installing new carb? I want to try to fix this myself but I was wondering if it was one of those rare problems or if someone else has had to mess around with it.

PS: have good single barrel solex and manifold if anyone needs one.

P4060640.jpgP4060639.jpgP4060637.jpgP4060636.jpg

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

I just bolted a 32/36 in place of a 2bbl solex on a 76 and it just sat right on the stock manifold. Scavenged some parts from the solex to connect the linkage and it fired right up.

Obvious question maybe, but what choke are you using and did the car warm up first so it would go to normal idle?

Moving the spring to make it pull harder on the linkage just wears the heck out of your calf on a long drive. When operating properly, the spring in its normal position is plenty..

Post a pick of the linkage connection..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Frenchee, have you adjusted the linkages? You will see that where the linkage that goes down to the pedal attaches to the linkage that goes to the carb there is a threaded section. Unhook the retainer and you can screw this up or down. If you require that much spring pressure it sounds like it is binding somewhere. To test take the throttle linkage off of the carb then rev up ny hand. If it goes back to low idle with no issues then it is most likely in the linkage. I just went thru this is why I am giving my opinion.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Okay, when we first set up the linkage we attached the spring to the first hole.Then when we manually accelerated, it wouldn't go all the way back to a low idle. So we moved the spring to the 2nd hole. Now it goes back down to a low idle. But the pedal is reallllllllly firm. and the little clip at the linkage keeps sliding off. I took some pictures. The spring doesnt really seem tight . I pulled on it a bit and doesnt seem like it would give it that much effort to move.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

unhook the linkage from the carb and rev by hand. If it goes back to slow idle then its in the linkage. This will verify the bind is not in the carb. Then hook back up and unhook the rod that goes down to the pedal and rev by hand. Go piece by piece and you will find the bind. If you are running a vacuum adnace it could also be in need of a good cleaning. This symptom is also a sign it is getting stuck after you rev it

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I'm confused. The carb works fine it goes back down to a good idle but its just the pedal is super hard. I cant figure it out. The spring doesnt seem very tight.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Okay, I feel pretty dumb. The spring must just be too tight. I took the spring off and the pedal goes down with the push of a pinky finger. I wonder where I can find a spring that is much softer. I will try home depot. But, I just took out the old carb from the trunk and flipped it over. Gas all over my clothes. Smells like crap. Going to rinse them with a hose?

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Try moving the linkage to the outer hole and the spring to the 2nd hole in. That will make the linkage less firm. It wil also make the linkage not bind.

diddo look at the picture woth the spring. the spring is not the problem the clip that holds the gas pedal rod is binding on the extra bit that the spring is that clip needs to be able to pivot with the rod. that will fix it.

Thanks guys!

The pedal feels fine now. I had a coolant leak but fixed that too. I need to take the carb appart with some help soon because whenever I give it gas it wants to die out kind of. Like, I press the gas and in first and second gear its really jerky and it feels like a cold start in the morning because it just chokes or doesnt recieve enough gas.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD