• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil ring spacer gap, same as other two oil rings?

beast02er

Correct. Are you squaring your rings up in each bore during / after filing to ensure correct end gap? Sounds to me like you're following proper procedures but have a crummy ring compressor. It it one of those solid one piece things or is it an adjustable band type compressor? The band type work much better imo.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Yeah, I have been checking and double checking the gaps. I was thinking the oil ring spacer needed adjusting because I was pulling off so much of the oil scraper rings and none on the spacer.......

The compressor is the adjustable band type, problem is I tighten it up as much as I can, then put the piston in and tap down, once it gets to the oil rings about to go in, it stops. My thinking was the oil spacer ring was keeping the compressor from being able to compress the rings as far as it should, so then I couldn't get the rings in.

Does the compressor sit inside the bore at all? Currently mine won't go in, which is why i'm thinking I am having the problem, the rings pop out right before they go in and keep from going down.

Thanks

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

The compressor should not extend (slide) into the cylinder bore. When using a ring compressor like yours, I normally push the piston in enough that the crown is beneath the top edge of the compressor band, then lightly tap my way around on the edge of the band (straight down towards the deck of the block). This effectively eliminates the space through which an oil ring can slip and hang up. Sometimes it's a bitch. HTH

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Remember have compressor evenly and piston assembly lined up square to the bore, install with one firm stroke on the piston. I use a large dead blow and drive with the handle.

My preffered compressors are as follows:

Tapered ring, size specific

Heavy Gauge Band with the locking pliers type handle, KD tools I think

Thin wind up steel band is the last choice and not a good option

I agree with Skip - getting the pistons back in the block is tricky. Also make sure you are keeping the rings spaced (staggered) per the Blue Book instructions.

Here is the ring compressor set I purchased from Gene Berg Enterprises about 10 years ago for working on my VW, but it worked great on the M10 pistons. The pliers are ratcheting so you can apply pressure without worrying about the compressor band springing loose.

pics102608019.jpg

pics102608018.jpg

Here is the ring spreader I borrowed from Bill Riblett.

pics102608020.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"