• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling 02 cylclist need advise!

TTyMiller

Yes both are carbon and I priced them from road bike mag.

They sell from Direct for $15595.00 and $1795.00 in the reverse the full Ultegra being more.

I really want to stay under $2002.00K and a month ago I would not go there.

• Administrators

Where are you located?

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? Miles pert day? Flats or mountains? Sprints?

My brother now owns a high end road bike store. (there is a discount for 2002 people :)

A few things I learned from him:

Proper fitment is the most important thing.

You can get the frame you want now and upgrade component later.

Different bikes were built for different purposes, thus the questions above. Fitment, best $180 and 2 hours spent if you plan on spending a chunk of cash on the bike. His store will put that money towards the bike, if you buy it from them.

Cheap carbon fiber frame will not last.

Some aluminum frames are much cheaper then CF and are as fast, but rough n the road.

Fitment.

good luck,

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Steve,

I'm in Fairfax VA, 20 miles outside of DC.

My intial goal is to get up to around 200 miles per week time permitting. No mountains we don't have any, hills and flats. Some long all day rides no real sprinting, just going as fast as I can with the locals until I get my legs back, then I'll take it from there.

I'm going to go against the grain a little.

Get yourself a cheap bike to get back into it. You may find that you no longer enjoy it as you once did.

If you find you are enjoying yourself, then go ahead and buy whatever you want.

I say this as someone whose roomate used to buy all of everything for any activity we did; paintball, mountain biking, RC cars etc. He would then be all gung ho about it for a month and then just forget about it.

Good thing we never decided to take a flying lesson.

'O=00=O'

Long Live The Legend.

It's addicting, I only owned 4 bikes when I bought my '02 in 2006, I now own 15ish and I've had at least 30 including the ones I sold. Many were around 100$ or less, but currently 10 are 1000$+. Working in a bike shop for a few years didn't seem to help too cure the addiction too much ;)

Ti or Carbon, but not cheap carbon. Check the geometry, not just the fit geometry but angles and heights like the headtube/seattube angles and bb height. I'm not sure about road bikes but mountain bikes now use "reach and stack" instead of top tube and seat tube. Reach and stack gives a much more accurate representation of how the bike will fit. http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/stack.html

If you haven't tried it yet, definitely consider SRAM Rival or Force. I will never run anything but shimano on my MTB's but I don't think I'll ever switch from SRAM on my Litespeed.

Orbea's really are not that great, they did make an awesome 29er MTB frame but their road stuff is nothing special compared to all the options available. They have a name that's well regarded and I've never figured out why(other than hype).

I'm partial to Ti because I own a Litespeed, but here's another suggestion. http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm?do=DetailProduct&productid=117679&categoryid=3122&parentid=1659&categoryname=Litespeed%20Titan

No matter what you start with you'll always find something you want to upgrade. I started with a 2001 Litespeed Classic frame built up with SRAM Rival, Ultegra/DT 1.1 wheelset, thomson stem/post, CC S8 headset, FSA AL bars, SDG saddle, entry level carbon fork, etc...It was pretty much exactly what I wanted with in my budget. With in 1 year I upgraded to a thomson masterpiece/fizik arione(best saddle ever!), King headset and hubs laced to DT 1.1 with al nipples and DT revolution spokes, and an Easton EC90 SL bar and fork. I've even got another 1000$ of upgrades planned out(2010 Force, EC90 cranks, 6700 pedals, Ti bottle cages/bolts) when the money comes around.

It's good to be sensible and set a budget, but once you've ridden a high end bike it's very hard to keep yourself from lusting after, and then buying, the next level of components.

If you are on a team or in a club ask about a deal at the bike shop. My team got me a Trek deal. I got a Madone 5.2 with Ultegra 6700, Bontrager race lite wheels. The 5.2 carbon is the mid level stuff but way better than imported stuff. Much better support if it fails or needs replacement. I raced my prior Trek 5200 carbon for 5 /12 years and 30,000 + miles. It is still working, but they do where out like anything else. I just paid $3100 for a Madone 5.2 with pedals, tax, & extras. Not bad since the bike retails for $3,700 alone.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Here is what I went with:

Frame

2.7 Pound Monocoque High Modulus Carbon Fiber with replaceable derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses

Fork

AeroCarbon SL High Modulus Monocoque Carbon Fiber with Carbon Crown+Steerer 1.125 inch

Headset

Cane Creek IS2 Sealed Bearing Threadless 1.125 inch

Derailleurs

Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed (20 Spd total) front and rear

Shifters/Levers

Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed STI (20 Speed total)

Brakes

Shimano Ultegra 6700 aluminum calipers

Hubs

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe sealed bearings

Rims

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe with UB Control rim surface

Crank/BottomBracket

Ultegra 6700 53/39T integrated with External Bearing Bottom Bracket

Cassette/Chain

Shimano 6700 Ultegra 10 Speed 11-28T, Shimano CN HG6700 Ultegra 10spd Chain

Saddle

Ritchey PRO Streem, Road Racing, hollow CrMo rails

Seatpost

Ritchey PRO Carbon Fiber 27.2mm

Stem

Ritchey WCS Aluminum 1.125 inch steerer, 31.8mm clamp

Handlebars

Ritchey Logic II WCS Butted Aluminum Ergo Bar

SPECIAL DEAL click HERE for near wholesale pricing on Super Light Full Carbon Fiber handlebars

Pedals

+BONUS Road Clipless Pedals included (worth up to $75) due to promotional contracts, we cannot publish this brand name

Tires Vittoria Rubino PRO Kevlar 700x23c, Presta valve tubes

Color BlackCarbon

Pedals are shit ordered some ultegra 6700 from ebay new for $109.00 I'm not gonna hurt myself over some cheap pedals. I got some SIDI carbon 5s off ebay used for two rides and look so for 110 from eBay, I had to do some tuning on the gears. It's all coming back!

Got some bike wear gear from baishiyiranhaikele on ebay (seller name), check him out in China he has all the team un iforms for $42 - $46 bucks jerseys and shorts.

Review of the bike. Purchased entire bike for less than the frame cost.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=66&cid=83

How did I do seriously?

Hell I may get up 3 times aweek at 5am before work and do some work, I'm stoked

sounds like we are going to need to have a dc area 02 bike run some weekend.....:-)

Crap - I'll have to buy new tires/tubes for my old MTB and start riding again. I used to ride after work each day and once did a 100 mile 2-day ride for Cystic Fibrosis.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'm going to go against the grain a little.

Get yourself a cheap bike to get back into it. You may find that you no longer enjoy it as you once did.

If you find you are enjoying yourself, then go ahead and buy whatever you want.

I say this as someone whose roomate used to buy all of everything for any activity we did; paintball, mountain biking, RC cars etc. He would then be all gung ho about it for a month and then just forget about it.

Good thing we never decided to take a flying lesson.

+1 on this advice. Terry, I'm sure you can locate a bike for less money to start out with, then buy what you want. That way, if you take a spill early on, you won't trash the $$$$ components.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"