• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gas cap issue HELP.

jayamasaki

Top of the morning to all,

I have a BMW gas cap with a locking type mechanism (with no key). i went to the local key dude, he made me a key, but stated that the mech inside may have an issue. Anyhow, the key he made me turns, but doesnt lock the gas cap. Does anyone here have a similar locking gas cap? I dont want to take it apart, but also, i want to get it working again. If anyone out there has the same cap let me know, thanks. (someone told me its a rare BMW option from the dealer, i dont know if this is true or not)

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

Guest Anonymous

When the key is turned CW to lock, the cap just swivels without catching on to the tank side of the cap. When you unlock (key CCW) the cap will catch the tank side and unlock or lock.

I have a good used locking spare cap if you need one.

When the key is turned CW to lock, the cap just swivels without catching on to the tank side of the cap. When you unlock (key CCW) the cap will catch the tank side and unlock or lock.

I have a good used locking spare cap if you need one.

thanks this helps me out, so i guess i need to get the key foxed then. Since it is not the original key, it doesnt come out once i "lock" it in place.

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

Guest Anonymous

same story here. opened cap, removed locking mechanism and locksmith made key. Upon reassembly, the cam was accidentally put 180 deg. in wrong position. The locking tap that emerges from cap innerds for locking purposes engaged when key was in key removal position. The normal way is key rotates, locking tab out of way, cap ratates and is removeable.....but key is captured in lock until cap is reinstalled on car and rotated into locking posiiton with inner tab extended. Thats how it should work!

Geezer

Have same problem - can you guide me on how you opened the gas cap to remove the mechanism?

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin