• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crankshaft dowl or guide pin removal and replace

MarkB

So I'm putting together my long block and my crank doesn't have the dowl to locate the flywheel.

Any downsides to not using the dowl guide if one locates the two largest holes (crank / flywheel) that the dowl would connect?

I do have an old crank that I can take the dowl out of. Is that removal a gently tap around the circumfrance to loosen it out? pull gently with pliers? I could get a new one, but reusing would be easier.

thanks,

Mark B

'67 2000CS

I could get a new one, but reusing would be easier.

You can't take out the dowel, and expect it to be reusable.

The metal is distorted on installation (interference fit) and typical removal tweaks it even more, rendering it scrap. I just grab them with vice grips if they need to come out. If I had a crank without one, I would get a new one to install.

I suppose someone probably will speak up & say they've done it with no issue, but for my money, it's a non-starter because they are dirt cheap & if you plan ahead you can have a bag of them for future use (they fit almost every BMW engine you'll likely encounter, from the M10 to the E46 S54.)

11 11 1 743 118 about $1. each

Forgot to mention, the reason I keep them on hand is they are the same part you need to locate the cylinder head on the block. That's where most of them get consumed, as you are likely to take them out to clean/ surface the deck on the block.

The sole advantage to leaving it out is that you can now rotate the flywheel a bit to let the starter chew on a different few teeth on the ring gear.

I know, it's the lazy way, but the flywheel centers itself on the

crank, so it really doesn't matter, as everything's zero- balance...

and if your ring gear's chowed, and you're cheap, now you can start

your car again!

lame but true.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL