• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i parts that I can put on my '76 02

polaris2002

I recently bought a '76 project car and got it to drivable condition. Just a short time after purchasing the 2002, I stumbled on a 1981 320i which has a perfect running drivetrain, but is rusted beyond repair- the frame is gone, so I got it for next to nothing.

I'm planning on doing the fabled 5-speed swap, and using the radiator, alternator, and rear brakes from the 320i...

Are there other parts off the 320i that I should be installing on my '02? I was specifically wondering if it's technically feasible (or desirable) to put the 320i fuel injection system on my 2002, and if I could possibly switch the 320i's air conditioning over....

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on where to have my driveshaft shortened, and which 5-speed brackets to use.

Looking forward to any input!

1976 2002 (in progress)

1991 318i

1988 750iL (285k, sold)

1988 Saab 900 turbo convertible

1995 Range Rover County LWB

Visit my blog!

I'm up in Westerville. Never seen another '02 out on the road here, but apparently they're just hiding...

I bought the car last year from a guy in Upper Arlington, who had intentions of restoring it but never quite finished- the bodywork is so-so. It had been sitting for quite some time and there's no interior. I replaced some stuff and recently started driving it, which has had the inevitable effect of motivating me to finish the rest of the work I've planned....

Any recommendations for local parts sources/shops? I'd like to do most of the work myself, but it would be convenient to be able to get parts locally.

Nick

P.S. I checked out your link- I really like the modifications to your bumpers! I've been planning to do the same to mine but haven't gotten to actually do it yet. Really helps the look of the car.

1976 2002 (in progress)

1991 318i

1988 750iL (285k, sold)

1988 Saab 900 turbo convertible

1995 Range Rover County LWB

Visit my blog!

Mine's been in hibernation since the first weekend of December, with as much salt as they dump on the roads, it really limits winter driving. Was gonna get it out this week, but the weather hasn't cooperated, depending on what it does this weekend, I might have it out. Supposed to be 40's and such next week, so that's a good excuse to get it back on the road. There's a couple of Columbus area guys out here, I've seen Stacy Gabbard's car on the road a few times, he's on this board every now and then.

As for parts up here, depends on what you're looking for. Jim Heckman has a bunch of '02s lying around, he's head of the columbus chapter of the BMWCCA, swing on out to the winking lizard off Bethel on the third Wednesday of every month when we do the meetings. Jason Gipson (Eurotrash) is down in the Cincy/Batavia area. He's got tons of stuff. For little odds & ends and such, I just swing out to MAG with a printoff. They've been good to me, and get it pretty quickly.

As for shops, I've never really looked, '02s are pretty simple. I know Hatem off of 5th is good for a lot of stuff, and there's WBS performance out in Dublin, they do a lot of older Porsche stuff and such, but might be a good place to look.

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

It's time for search for you, young Buckeye... err... no, not Hoosier...

ummm...

this comes up every few months. You've nailed all the majors.

The efi is craaaaap, you're looking for 1984-85 318i if you want efi.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hola sir Polaris2002. Welcome. (its early, no coffee yet..)

When searching, try using AND between keywords, in caps, just as I typed it there. It brings up additional threads sometimes.

We all look forward to meeting you this summer! We have one or two large regional meets each season. We've got a good group of owners workin' here, email me and we can get yo into our email ring as well!

Start a project blog too, thats a good way to chart progress and generate ideas..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Grab the front bumper as well and switch it out for the stock '02 - the profile is a better match for the 02 nose. Collapse the front shocks and looks even better. On my list of to do's.

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I switched to the 320i transmission mount when I found mine was shot, it is about twice the size and fits without a problem, will also give a good stiff feeling to te drivetrain. I put my car on a lift and used a crows foot wrench with a socket extension to move the bolts, they are in a very awkward possition. although if yours isnt bad I would just hang on to it untill then