• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Head on 1600 Block?

RoccoGilroy

So im starting to think about ways to boost my little 1.6L without having to scrap the hole thing for 2.0L. I would like to eventually upgrade to the weber 38/38 carb and maybe a mild cam. (IE's 292 regrind maybe) The problem I keep coming up with is that the intake inlet holes on my 1.6L head dont match up with any 2 barrel manifolds because their made for 2.0L heads. Worried about gas getting caught on the lip between the head and the manifold. Im running a 32/36 now but not satisfied.

So here's my question. Has anyone ever modified a 2002 head to work well with a 1.6L block? I know it should bolt right up but it would mess up the intended compression and a hole bunch of other german enginering stuff I dont understand! (lol not a mechanic be gentle) Id like to rebuild one of the many 2002 heads I have lieing around slowly over time so I can afford to do it right. While I am screwing around with the head I will still have a very good and reliable car to drive. Then when its ready Ill drop the head on with the 38/38 and have some fun with that. (Ideally) Anyway just looking for some friendly conversation from the experts. Thanks!

Rocco

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

I tossed a 2.0 head on a 1.6, no torque but marginally more top end, not enough to make it worthwhile.

You could port the 1.6 head to match the manifold, but you're still stuck with small valves, so no matter what carb/manifold you install, it won't breath well.

E21 316s came with 2bbls, you might find one if you look hard, the stock carb is probably as big as the cam and valves can stand, I don't remember if the 316 had bigger valves

You can drop in a 2 liter crank and turn your car into a 1800.

You'll need the con-rods from a 2 liter engine, so you're looking at rebuilding the bottom end.

Going from his 1.6L crank to a 2.0L crank increases the stroke from 71 to 80 mm. One-half of that difference in length (4.5 mm) needs to be compensated for by the piston. It takes a piston with the pin location raised higher by that amount. BMW uses the same conrod length for all the M10 strokes, it's the piston that changes.

New pistons for the 84x80 (bore x stroke) like an early 1800 won't be nearly as common as those from the 1.8L with the 89x71 configuration used in later 1802, E21, or E30

While a 1600 can be fun when built to rev high & run, it would be much simpler to get a usable 2.0L to refresh or drop in as-is.