• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to buy! What's it worth. (PICS)

viali8

Thanks for the info. Honestly I am not looking to fully restore the car. I would like to have it as a daily driver during the summer. Once the summer is over i will daily drive my e30.

Like you said i should do more poking around. The frame rails are good, the floors are solid...still has the tar on it. Not sure about the rear subframe mounts and pedal box. The shock towers look solid from the trunk area but i was told i should check them from inside the wheel wells. For the most part the rocker panels are good. They do have some rust on both sides back towards the rear wheels...just like i showed you in the pic.

Thanks for the help!

I went back and looked at all of your photos. The rocker panel photo looks pretty bad. It's a clue, I think, that you're going to find a lot of other serious rust. I also saw this time around that it's an automatic, which, at least for me, is a big negative. Still think it's worth $500, but probably as something that goes immediately to parts car status.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to the rocker when i hit it with my fist it seems like it pretty solid. I cant poke a whole through it.

thanks again for the help.

The rocker panel would be a major concern to me. The little "pad" looking thing is where the car is jacked up at and looks to be pushed up from jacking. It also looks like it has a crack above the pad. Inspect the back side of it to see if it has more rust that is not seen from the outside.

Even with saying that, good clean '02's are getting hard to find at an affordable price, especially on the east coast. I've seen much worse cars when I was looking for mine.

Anything can be fixed, but paying some one else to fix it for you can get expensive(at $60-ish an hour).

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

On top of what JOHN W advised you to do, see if the seller will let you bring a wire brush and a flash-lite to realy clean up as much of the grime and loose rust underneath the car.

Look at the front strut housings also for decay between the lower spring cup and lock nut, you may have to turn the steering full left and right.

If the guy allows it, see if you can take out the rear seat and see what kind of shape the steel is in , you must look for rust/cracks where you'll see the rear axle attaches, I only say this because I've seen them look ok from below but are a mess when viewed from inside the car.

I don't buy the owner doesn't know what it's worth thing, if the guy likes/ works on Italian cars, one thing for certain the man knows IS RUST!

Would not let the auto-trans turn me off so much, take your time realy looking for terminal rust. If the guy won't let you take a closer look, then there's a reason.

Honestly if she checks out safety wise I think a good price is $500-$800 range for the car as is, I've had RATS before, and had as much fun in them as I did with my better cars! Maybe because I had a clearer head and didn't worry about other drivers as much! A safe rat can be much fun!

Good luck, and let us know how it pans out!

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.

On top of what JOHN W advised you to do, see if the seller will let you bring a wire brush and a flash-lite to realy clean up as much of the grime and loose rust underneath the car.

Look at the front strut housings also for decay between the lower spring cup and lock nut, you may have to turn the steering full left and right.

If the guy allows it, see if you can take out the rear seat and see what kind of shape the steel is in , you must look for rust/cracks where you'll see the rear axle attaches, I only say this because I've seen them look ok from below but are a mess when viewed from inside the car.

I don't buy the owner doesn't know what it's worth thing, if the guy likes/ works on Italian cars, one thing for certain the man knows IS RUST!

Would not let the auto-trans turn me off so much, take your time realy looking for terminal rust. If the guy won't let you take a closer look, then there's a reason.

Honestly if she checks out safety wise I think a good price is $500-$800 range for the car as is, I've had RATS before, and had as much fun in them as I did with my better cars! Maybe because I had a clearer head and didn't worry about other drivers as much! A safe rat can be much fun!

I went back and looked under the rear seat. There is a hole in the steel on the passenger side near where the rear axle attaches. Would the car be unsafe to drive?

Thanks again for the help.

I went back and looked under the rear seat. There is a hole in the steel on the passenger side near where the rear axle attaches. Would the car be unsafe to drive?

Thanks again for the help.

Yes, very unsafe. That holds the front bushing for the rear subframe in place. You don't want to lose the subframe when you're driving. It would ruin your day. Go find another car

70 M2 2.5L 

Viali, man it sounds like the gig is up!

Must agree with others to pass on this example, I was afraid your second look at it would reveal yet more decay.

But look at it this way, you learned already many valuable things to look for in the next one you come across!

That's not to say that you should not try and get it cheap enough for parts only, but realy what is the chance the guy will drop the price from $2500 down to $500 ish?

Best of luck hunting one down!

Jon

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.

yes, I live outside of philadelphia. There is a 1970 on craigslist. Here is the link. A little more money but probably worth the extra investment. There is also one at Elkins Park Car Service.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1570126429.html

I saw this one...looks nice and your probably right but $4k is out of my price range right now...the one in elkins park was for sale by a guy in hatboro. I scheduled an appointment to go see it...when i called to confirm he never answered my call and the next thing i know i see it for sale by larry weiss @ Elkins Park Auto.

I think i will go take a look at it. I did speak to the guy who sold it to Larry and he said he had it for sale for some time and many people came to look at it but no one wanted it. I wonder what's wrong with it. Sucks with all this snow.