• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Box MSD - Streetfire

Scott Sislane

if you were going to get an ignition box, why the MSD 6A, vs smaller, less powerful boxes? (if that's the actual difference) I see MSD labels & packages a model MSD 5 or CDI 5520.

the streetfire line of MSD seems to be geared to lower HP motors ? (like our's) and still allows for better progression through the RPM's, and better idle.

msd_5520_is_1577_general.jpg

MSD #5520 Street Fire Ignition Controller

•Capacitive Discharge Technology

•Multiple sparks improve starting and idle

•Full power output at high rpm

•Easily connects to points, amplifiers and magnetic pickup distributors

•Adjustable rev limiter for overrev protection

This Street Fire CD Ignition is perfect for budget minded enthusiasts. The ignition offers capacitive discharge technology and will fire a series of multiple sparks that lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation when the engine is running under 3,000 rpm. This ensures combustion and produces great throttle response and smooth idle.

The CD is built around a durable cast aluminum housing and easily connects to points, amplifiers and magnetic pickup distributors. There's even an adjustable rev limiter for overrev protection!

Spark Energy: 95 MJ Per Spark

Primary Voltage: 435 Volts

Secondary Voltage: 45,000 Volts

Spark Series Duration: 20° Crankshaft Rotation

RPM Range: 15,000 RPM with 14.4 Volts

Voltage Required: 10-18 Volts, Negative Ground

Current Draw: .7Amp per 1,000 RPM

Weight & Size: 1.5 LBS. 6"Lx3.5"Wx1.75"H

mfr's info:

http://www.street-fire.com/cdiignition.html

Retailer:

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/5520/10002/-1

Which is a smarter choice, vs "bigger is always better"? I'm not fond of a huge red box under the hood, and the smaller black box would be stealthier/easier to hide.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

ok, I'm answering my own question I guess. Jegs has a great comparison:

http://www.jegs.com/PDFs/6ALvsStreetFireboxes.pdf

Two differences according to Jegs:

Voltage output

MSD 6AL = 110 mJ

CDI 5520 = 95 mJ

**The difference is usable with 400+ HP**

Rev Limiter:

MSD 6AL = Analog (you have to buy modules that plug in, but more expandable)

CDI 5520 = Digital (built-in dials to adjust)

Analog is larger circuitry, and also not as accurate in higher (7k+) rpm.

They both have identical wiring schemes and both work with pertronix.

So it appears, the only real difference is 15mJ for an extra $60.00 and a bigger foot print. Oh ya, and you get RED too.

So unless you're running 400+ HP, looks like the smaller unit is the smarter choice.

Anyone know differently? I'm just surprised I haven't seen the smaller unit in anyone's car, and BIG RED all the time.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

started installing the box this afternoon. This seems to be a perfect location for it. The wires are facing the rear of the bay, so away from the heat, and the wires are all on the side of the dist & coil. It snugs right up to the metal wire clip too.

Guess I'll re-do all the wiring while I have it all apart....Glad I have all day tomorrow off.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 1 month later...
Do you have an update on the install?

What's the feedback on the unit?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

The install went without a hitch. I neatly buttoned everything up, and snuck out for a 50 mile drive shortly after. It worked perfectly. Only having a short drive though, in cold weather, I didn't really get a feel for what it's doing for me, or get to see if my fuel mileage improved. (?)

I am VERY happy with the quality of the unit and the ease of wiring. And it fits perfectly in the chosen location. (I know all coils are not where mine is)

I'll get it on the road in the next 2 weeks & report back. I have to get my windshield back in first.

IMG_4759.jpg

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Do your installation instructions say anything about not putting the unit so close to your exhaust manifold? I thought that was a no-no with these.

I put an MSD-6 in my CS with a heavily modified Korman engine years ago when I still had to have it emissions inspected (didn't solve that problem, but runs smoother than it did before). I mounted mine in the heater plenum, which is bigger on CSs than on 02s.

I've seen others mounted behind the front grills on cars that did not have an A/C condensor there.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Do you have an update on the install?

What's the feedback on the unit?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

The install went without a hitch. I neatly buttoned everything up, and snuck out for a 50 mile drive shortly after. It worked perfectly. Only having a short drive though, in cold weather, I didn't really get a feel for what it's doing for me, or get to see if my fuel mileage improved. (?)

I am VERY happy with the quality of the unit and the ease of wiring. And it fits perfectly in the chosen location. (I know all coils are not where mine is)

I'll get it on the road in the next 2 weeks & report back. I have to get my windshield back in first.

Thanks for the update. Did you go withe a petronix or crane ?

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Do your installation instructions say anything about not putting the unit so close to your exhaust manifold? I thought that was a no-no with these.

I put an MSD-6 in my CS with a heavily modified Korman engine years ago when I still had to have it emissions inspected (didn't solve that problem, but runs smoother than it did before). I mounted mine in the heater plenum, which is bigger on CSs than on 02s.

I've seen others mounted behind the front grills on cars that did not have an A/C condensor there.

I kept it tucked up & away, and also positioned the end with the wiring harness so it's faces the firewall and is protected from direct heat.

Directions:

MOUNTING

The Street Fire Ignition can be mounted in most positions, except directly upside down (if upside down, moisture or water cannot escape). It can be mounted in the engine compartment as long as it is away from direct engine heat sources. It is not recommended to mount the unit in an enclosed area such as the glove box.

Miscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellaneousiscellneousiscellaneous Informationnformationnformationnformationnformationnformationnformationnformationnformationnformation

Sealing: Do not attempt to seal the ignition. All of the circuits of the Street Fire ignition receive a thick conformal coating of Humi-Seal. Rubber plugs are supplied to protect the rpm dials.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Thanks for the update. Did you go withe a petronix or crane ?

Yes, that is an important part, thanks for mentioning, I have a pertronix unit in the distributor which wires directly to the ignition box.

Also, When I was ordering this from Jegs, I ordered the tach adapter just in case. Turned out it worked perfectly w/ the stock tach, so no need for the adapter. I was glad I didn't have to add that to the wiring.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Turned out it worked perfectly w/ the stock tach, so no need for the adapter. I was glad I didn't have to add that to the wiring.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about the tach adapter.

Good to know and provides me with good info.

FWIW, I'll probably go the same route. Since my car had an a/c, I'll end up mounting underneath the glovebox,

Thanks again for the all the info.

Cheers.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

I'll warn you now to never get hit with a spark from one of those things, I've been hit many times by a regular standard coil point setup. While setting up a MSD6 on my car with megasquirt I was triggering the box just by grounding out the signal wire on a strut bolt and had the coil wire just laying there, hit me in the elbow from about 2 inches away and just kept firing, they don't just send one spark and call it good, they keep sparking until the signal wire is un-grounded. My arm hurt for two days.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Reminds me of when I was just a kid and working on cars with my dad.

We pulled a plug from a '68 LTD and grounded it on top on the intake manifold so he could show me how the spark fired.

As i watched it spark I was like a moth drawn to the candle and got my hand close to the electrode. ZAP. I can't remember if my finger hurt for two days but I seemed to remember being on the other side the garage.

Sadly, that was not my last encounter with Sparky...

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii