• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof 101?

rdeeble

Hi folks.

Apparently I am now a sunroof owner... well non working sunroof owner actually. I just bought my second 76' 02 to use as new body donor for a restore (will post pics soon). I am assessing my purchase and have a few questions.

What are the basics for inspecting and fixing the crank? The roof is closed and does not open. In its closed position the slide roof isn't flush with the body roof in the rear and their are some scratch marks in the corner where it rubbed up against the roof.

Can I inspect or fix the mechanical operation of the sunroof without taking out the headliner (which is actually in decent shape)?

Drains - I will check tomorrow to see if they have been redirected from the rocker panels. I did notice upon transporting the car in the ran, that the carpet soaked up behind the passenger seat (the floor pan looks great from underneath the car). I will pull the floorpan plug to make sure it drains.

My first step after assessing overall is to pull carpet, check the floor for rust. How important do you all feel it is to take up the insulation goo on the floor in regards to prepping for paint? I plan on por 15 any visable spots on the floor and underside prior to taking to the sprayer.

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

holy smokes!! Afraid to ask is right... ive got my work cut out. Any tips on closing this roof prior to ripping out the headliner (was hoping i didn't have to do that right away)? BY the way my2002tii.com is an amazing resource! -rd

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10