• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video: 02 vs Sunbeam Tiger

ArdenK

anyone can go fast in a straight line...just takes hp.

that tiger driver needs a lot of help. he misses every turn in, apex and track out. i realize it is vintage racing, but i have had novice pdx students who are better......

credit to the bmw driver for working a good line!!!

2xM3

anyone can go fast in a straight line...just takes hp.

that tiger driver needs a lot of help. he misses every turn in, apex and track out. i realize it is vintage racing, but i have had novice pdx students who are better......

credit to the bmw driver for working a good line!!!

Here here. The Tiger driver needs to pull off a couple plug wires and learn the art of momentum driving. In a long enough event he should be able to lap the venerable, well-driven '02, unless his brakes stink.

(I love racing from my desk. I always make the best decisions...)

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Many Sunbeams are powered by small block ford V8's.

That explains for the speed and why the guy couldn't get in tight in the corners, too much weight. It did a lot better that the other V8s out there like the Challenger. I don't recall seeing the Camaro except in the beginning.

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Many Sunbeams are powered by small block ford V8's.

That explains for the speed and why the guy couldn't get in tight in the corners, too much weight. It did a lot better that the other V8s out there like the Challenger. I don't recall seeing the Camaro except in the beginning.

weight has zero effect on the ability to drive the fast line....it may affect the velocity through the turn, but not the concept of maximizing the raduis.

i bet my race car weighs more than that tiger...and i complain if i miss a mark by more than 6in or so....;-)

me & a faster car....

2xM3

as much as this thread is full of "expert" drivers that never miss an apex and have fully mastered "momentum" driving or whatever that is.. it doesn't matter if the tiger had a 100hp or a 1000hp. If he's in your class... then he is and quit crying.. this isn't nascar.. "boo hoo he's got more HP.. he's got a v8.. he can't drive a corner... his can't hit a apex... his car's to nose heavy but mines perfect german balance".

If anything can be said... it took the bmw driver 12 laps to think of passing in a different location.. Or the sunbeam guy was better than the bmw for 12 laps or probably the majority of the event.

hmmm weight....

Ford 289 v8 = 460 lbs

BMW S14 = 350lbs

BMW M52 I6 = 500lbs

Also, the Tiger has a 260 CID smaller stroke, less weight.

Weight not a big issue on this one.

k

Just a little history regarding the small Ford V8

The Ford 221, 260, 289, and 302 are all same block same deck height and same weight (except for aluminum Indy versions).

The variations are numerous from the 4 valve Indy 4 cam variation, 2 valve push rod 4 Weber version in Lotus 25 Indy cars, Le Mans winning GT40 2 valve push rod single 4bbl version, a bolt on overhead cam kit from Ford (quite rare), Gurney Westlake heads, 2 valve tunnel port Trans Am heads, and production Boss 302 heads. It was a very versatile engine with a 40 year production run and just guessing it may have won more major races than most.

as much as this thread is full of "expert" drivers that never miss an apex and have fully mastered "momentum" driving or whatever that is.. it doesn't matter if the tiger had a 100hp or a 1000hp. If he's in your class... then he is and quit crying.. this isn't nascar.. "boo hoo he's got more HP.. he's got a v8.. he can't drive a corner... his can't hit a apex... his car's to nose heavy but mines perfect german balance".

If anything can be said... it took the bmw driver 12 laps to think of passing in a different location.. Or the sunbeam guy was better than the bmw for 12 laps or probably the majority of the event.

I didn't want to come across too critical for technique in an event designed for fun, and they're definately having it! I'm no expert and make plenty of on-track mistakes, but the instructor in me wanted to point out the disparity in drivers in this set of turns. I don't know this course or even if these guys are in the same class, but assumed this twisty section was one of the few places the '02 could catch back up after the loss of 8 +/- car lengths due to the Tiger's speed. Yep, Oldguy, maybe the Tiger out drove the '02 elsewhere.

Great video, thanks for sharing it.

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

I thought it was a good "fight". What was really interesting, to me, was the muscle cars ending up in the weeds.

Thanks for all the comments, I have a lot to learn about track driving. With a little luck and A Lot of work I'll have an auto-X car ready in the spring.

Anyone out there need a pupil to coach?

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona