• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove flywheel bolts?

beast02er

Well, this is probably a simple answer. I'm trying to remove the flywheel bolts and they seem to be torqued down pretty good and are hard to remove since the crank can rotate. Looking in the manual it seems I need the little brake thing, but if you don't have that, how do you keep the flywheel from rotating when you are trying to loosen the bolts?

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

Air gun will zip them off without a lock but that lock is good to have around, you will need it when you put it back on.

VW shops should have one.

You can see the VW flywheel lock on the upper right

29Aprilstuds.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

Impact gun, 19mm socket, air compressor. Comes right off without the locking device. Remember put removeable locktite on each bolt when reassembling. Can be torqued when installing with the impact wrench...but the final torque is approximate.

Guest Anonymous

I just grip the flywheel ring gear with medium size Vice Grips, let it jam against the bottom of the block to hold the flywheel when loosening or tightening the bolts.

Vice Grip method only touches the sides of the ring gear (no marks on teeth flanks), and does not fall out like the screwdriver. Very quick & secure attachment, and it's done with a common tool already in the kit.

One other approach is to use a box end wrench and strike the wrench with a hammer. This is basically what the air wrench does it will just take a few more minutes to do. You won't need to jam the flywheel with anything.

Hold the wrench on the head of the bolt with one hand and rap the opposite end of the wrench with a hammer. DO NOT STRIKE THE BOLT, strike the wrench on the other end causing a shock load on the wrench. While not very pretty it is effective. The shock load of the hammer blow will break the bolt loose. Be patient and keep pecking away.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

Guest Anonymous

Jam a piece of hardwood in the starter motor opening to keep the flywheel from turning - you can torque them back on with the same technique - the wood doesn't hurt the ring gear.

I use an "L" bracket with a hole in one side. Run a bolt through the hole to the block, then swivel the bracket until the other side of it lands in the flywheel teeth. You want to swivel it so the flywheel is pushing against the bracket TOWARDS the bolt, so it goes one way for tightening and the other way for loosening.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i