• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mech. advance Dizzy set timing @2500RPM?

Arshloch

I have a mechanical advance dizzy with no vacuum port. Do I set timing at 2500RPM like a ti or tii motor and not at 1400RPM for a regular 2002? I have heard some people recommending it. It seems if that was a tii dizzy 25 degrees at 2500RPM would not be enough advance.

Its an 002 dizzy.

68' 2002 DD

It won't hurt to do that and if you don't like it, you can always reset.

Each and every car is different (different fuels, wear, etc.) and more often than not, I find that the timing spec isn't always the best for that car, so I usually play around with it a few degrees here and there until I feel it's really dialed-in. My timing light has a variable advance built in, so I can turn the dial a few degrees either way and rotate the dizzy til the marks align.

One thing to be sure of is that your dizzy does in fact advance when/where it's supposed to. This can be checked with a timing light and tach - set each up and then add throttle until you see the timing marks jump and note the RPM, again, with my light, I can even tell by how many degrees it has advanced.

The dizzy may have a mechanical advance, but if the springs are old and weak, you may find that the timing advances prematurely - the fix would be new springs on the centrifugal weight(s). You can even change this to suit your taste by using different springs/weights, though sourcing them could be an issue. But there are places that will recurve your dizzy and the cost usually isn't too great.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I find that 35-38 degrees total advance works pretty well for my car...

I set it at 4k, because my dist. is all in by that point.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL