• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

impact wrench newbie

finkbuilt

So, I joined the air tools revolution and bought a compressor and impact gun.

The main impetus for me to do this was so that I could spin off the output flange retaining nut of my 5 speed. My question is this:

How much should I re-tighten this nut? I just put some blue locktite on it and hit with the max setting on the gun for about 5 seconds. I'm not asking for torque specs, since I cant really figure out a good way to hold this thing in order to use a torque wrench, I'm just talking impact wrench.

I know, this question is impossible to answer, too many variables, PSI, Compressor CFM, hose length and diameter, brand of impact gun, blah blah blah.... but How hard/long should I zap this nut back on with an impact to feel good about it?

thanks!

73 Riviera Daily driver 2002 - MS, 9.5:1, cam, LSD

If the nut is still on I'd mark the location and get it back in that spot then go by feel and give it a little more. I'm up against the same issue when I pull the crank pulley on the s-14..

I twisted a diff bolt right in half the first time I used one- when I was 18. The mechanics in the shop were running over to me yelling- stop stop!! We had to pull the diff from the shop car and put it in the customers car for a while....

I am with Bob on this - impact is mostly for removal. Find a way to hold the flange so you can tighten it. Is that the nut that has that keeper around it? That keeps the nut in place.

I do hit the rear hub castel nut with a big 1/2 IR gun. That gets that sucker tight.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I do basically what you just described (put it on the max setting and let it bang in for about five seconds) and I've never had anything loosen up -- not flywheel nuts, not output shaft nuts. It'll be fine.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)