• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dutch Bmw 1602

Trax

There's a chance that your 13" wheels could fit if bolt holes of calipers are slotted and moved inwards 3-4 mm's. Did you try?

If you go with the 15" BBS I would suggest 50 instead of 45 series. Even 195/50 is a bit small diameter in my taste so I think 195/45 would look kinda stupid. I'm going with 205/50/15 on BBS RM 7x15 ET 27 but it will be a tight fit.

I have also same shocks and pretty much same idea as you with my project :-)

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello From Across The Pond...

Really enjoy checking out your nice 1602. I have a '74 2002 and have a question for you regarding your wheel/tire set up. I have an opportunity to get a really nice set of BBS wheels 13X6J ET13. I notice you are using this size on your car. Do you have any problems with this offset? I plan on using 185/70R13 tires as I like the classic look of the small wheels, etc. I do plan on lowering the car 1" with Eibach Springs. What size tires do you use? Any issues? Handling or other wise? Thanks and nice car!

Christian

74 2002 Atlantik

"Zum Kleine Bombe"

Hello From Across The Pond...

Really enjoy checking out your nice 1602. I have a '74 2002 and have a question for you regarding your wheel/tire set up. I have an opportunity to get a really nice set of BBS wheels 13X6J ET13. I notice you are using this size on your car. Do you have any problems with this offset? I plan on using 185/70R13 tires as I like the classic look of the small wheels, etc. I do plan on lowering the car 1" with Eibach Springs. What size tires do you use? Any issues? Handling or other wise? Thanks and nice car!

Christian

Im running the same specs on my Rims. 13inch, 6J and ET13 with 185/60R13 Toyo Proxes. Its also lowered about 50mm=2inch and it doesnt rub anywhere, but its still a tight fix at the front wheel arches.

Thank you for responding. I agree with the above person "The Dutch Rule" Been to Holland a couple of times -- loved it. Anyways, I think I might try 185/60 13s as you did. But I think my speedo will be showing quite a bit faster speed than I am actually going. 185/70 13s are getting hard to find in a quality tire here in US. I also like your choice of Koni. I think the adjustables are the best shocks made. Was not able to find them here in US. I had a set on an early (83) VW GTI I had and they were awesome. I have Bilsteins now, but would love to get my hands on some Koni adjustables. Thanks again and nice 1602!!!

74 2002 Atlantik

"Zum Kleine Bombe"

Trax,

Your car looks great! I'm realizing how much of a following these cars have in Holland, which shouldn't surprise me (my family is dutch and I recall one of my uncles having a few 1602's and NSU's tucked away in his barn in Oirschot).

I currently own a '74 1602 that was imported to the US from Italy a couple of years ago with very low miles. Because of differences between US and European models I'm having trouble finding some parts. For instance, my headlight buckets were modified and are missing essential hardware. The original speedometer was also removed. Any thoughts on european sources of supply for used parts?

Rijco

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The original matching engine survived this summer again, despite it had some serious punishment. It's only a 1600 and proved he had a cruise-speed from somewhere between 120-130kph (75-80 mph) for long distances. And could hit 60Mph in his 2nd gear. And 100 Mph tops.

I already had other plans in mind when I bought the car. Basically there were a few option in the range of 3000-4000 euro to consider:

M42 NA modified

M10 NA modified

S14 Standard

M10 Turbo

I went for the last. Fixing a Turbo seems like a challenge and its a relative cheap way of getting HP. I'm still shopping for parts, although I would like to see it alive next summer.

DSCF6220.jpg

Getting the old crap out, next to it is a M10 from an E30 318i

+

DSCF6228.jpg

Some green Bosch 440cc Injectors

+

DSCF6264.jpg

Fuel supply incl two pumps and a swirlpot since I noticed it had some troubles in long corners with getting fuel.

+

28122010025.jpg

228mm Flywheel. Still in need of a 325i clutch.

+

28122010029.jpg

Forge BOV

+

DSCF6257.jpg

Mocal 19 row oilcooler and S14 Oilfilter head

+

DSCF6270.jpg

M20B25 TB, 440cc Bosch

+

DSCF6239.jpg

Boostbrothers Manifold.

Gorgeous car! That is going to be awesome once you're done! Switching over to a 2.0L block before adding the turbo I assume(?). What are your power goals?

Gorgeous car! That is going to be awesome once you're done! Switching over to a 2.0L block before adding the turbo I assume(?). What are your power goals?

Im sticking to the original 1.8i from a E30. It has the right compression ratio. It only needs a 2002tii with cutting rings or a MLS head gasket with ARP head bolts. They are cheap and replaceable.

I'm hoping for around 200-220HP at the crank.

As long as your tune is good, for that level of power(lower boost) I'd suggest a stock non cutting ring headgasket at least until it's fully tuned. Pinepig is, or was, running a stock headgasket at 18psi+ with out issues. The good thing about the stock headgasket is it's more likely to blow if something on the motor is not tuned right. The MLS headgasket is stronger and you're more likely to cause internal engine damage due to pre-detonation. I would go ARP studs either way but I'd highly suggest a stock HG at least initially. They're cheap so it's no biggie to switch later.

What turbo are you planning on running?

I saw you mentioned you're a student. Are you involved in Formula SAE?

I really want tires for my BBS RM's now...

As long as your tune is good, for that level of power(lower boost) I'd suggest a stock non cutting ring headgasket at least until it's fully tuned. Pinepig is, or was, running a stock headgasket at 18psi+ with out issues. The good thing about the stock headgasket is it's more likely to blow if something on the motor is not tuned right. The MLS headgasket is stronger and you're more likely to cause internal engine damage due to pre-detonation. I would go ARP studs either way but I'd highly suggest a stock HG at least initially. They're cheap so it's no biggie to switch later.

What turbo are you planning on running?

I saw you mentioned you're a student. Are you involved in Formula SAE?

I really want tires for my BBS RM's now...

I guess I'm putting in a new gasket in right away because there isn't much attached to the engine right now. I'm planning to use a TD04 16T from a Volvo or something similar. I'm studying business, but I know the projects. A few Dutch universities take part in that.

You get a tight fit with 7x15 Et 25 and 195/50 tires.