• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint or powder coat trim?

redrasta

So im gonna paint my 72 white and want all the trim to be black saving a few pieces left chrome. Has anyone attempted to paint or powder coat trim and or grilles? Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks think shiny black!

Bob Marley owned a 1600 cause the B.M.W also stood for "Bob Marley and the Wailers

that sounds like it'll look good. I am new to this forum and don't know what you're looking for here, but I'm pretty sure that'd be an easy photoshop job if you'd want to mock it up. if you're asking about how difficult it would be to actually do the powdercoat the aluminum itself (i.e. the job), then any decent powdercoating shop can do that type of stuff no problem, it's wheels and engine casings that have issues as the process of heating the metal can weaken and possibly provide failure catalysts for stressed components. does that answer your question, or did you want DIY instructions? (better hit up the library for a book to check out on techniques in that case)

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

I powder coated my trim, grills, and other stuff gloss black. It's easy to do as long as you have the equipment. The issue with trim pieces is that they are long. I'm lucky I have access to large pizza style ovens to heat the long pieces. Eastwood sells a very easy to use powder coating gun that comes with a perfect gloss black. The trick to powder coating is all in the pre-paint preparation. If you are using old trim pieces try a conversion coating before you paint like acid wash and alodine. That is if you want it to last. You might also need a metal filler that can withstand 400 degree temperatures.

1976 2002

I'm trying to find the picture of a bronze 75 with black trim... and the link i have to his website no longer works. maybe someone else has this info?

what i did was to powder coat the trim around the car, the rain gutter trim, the quarter window and front window lower trim.... oh and my big bumpers. They are a low gloss silver (70% i think?)... i was hoping it would match my silver wheels but it turned out a little gray-er than I would have liked. I still think it was a good decision... it was about a quarter of the price of replacing the trim with new... and that still didn't address my horrible bumpers.

You do have to realize though (especially with black) ALL the other trim pieces that are chrome... if you don't paint those they may stand out too much and clash. Although my silver doesn't clash horribly, it is pretty noticeable... but that's to me... others may not. My 'original' oriented BMW mechanic doesn't care for it... but I have gotten lot's of positive comments from the laymen on the street.

My trim was very dull and nicked and gouged, but not too many dents. I carefully flattened out some of the dents and the powder coating nicely covered the blemishes... I like it.

I would not recommend too glossy though... it will highlight every little flaw and may 'pop' too much... in my opinion.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)