• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Mounted Temp Switch For Elec Fan Control-Type,Temp?

pcook911

I have an Ireland aluminum radiator with an electric Spal push fan mounted in front. The install was a bit of an emergency, big downshift = motor shift = dead stock radiator, and it is wired to run whenever the ignition is on.

The problem is that the fan is pretty loud, I am sure that running it all the time is causing unnecessary wear and tear on the fan, plus the radiator keeps the car cool with no fan unless you are stopped in traffic on a warm day. I know because I put the radiator in two days before I got the electric fan in the mail.

Anyway, I am looking to install a temperature switch in the bung on the bottom of the radiator so the fan only turns on when the coolant temp reaches a certain threshold.

Anyone out there have a similar setup? I know that the bung has a 10x1 metric thread. At what temperature does your temp switch turn on? What brand is it? Where did you get it?

Does anyone in the Orange County, CA area have a use for a stock radiator that doesn't hold water? It could be used for a 3 core rebuild. It's free if you come and get it.

TIA,

Paul

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left

O=00=O

Guest Anonymous

doesn't get hot enough to turn on the fan until the temp needle is in the red. There's a type of engine inlet (for the radiator hose on top of the engine) that has a fitting for a temperature switch that works much better. I'm sorry to say I don't remember what that part's from.

David Roach

"Molly" (Inka 1973 2002)

"Nick" (Schwartz 2004 330xi)

To David's point, I do believe it is the water neck from an e-21.

I had the FAN MAN there in CA to make me an aluminum top radiator hose with a switch in it to turn on my pusher.

IMG_2976.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5