• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

get under those cars

BLUNT

im under my 02 double checking every nut and bolt before my trip to arkansas in the morning and i found the bitch clip gone from the brake booster pivot mechanism and the pin has worked itself halfway out. i know for a fact i had installed the bitch clip so i either didnt get it on properly or something. this would have been a complete loss of brakes. who knows how long this has been like tis,.... check every nut and bolt guys

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Good point Blunt. This is what happened to me last week on the freeway. Big clank and thought driveshaft or tranny busted. But after towing home haft shaft screws backed out. Luckily the IE exhaust held it up.

post-3448-13667605349961_thumb.jpeg

I was cruising at 70-75 mph, just about to exit the freeway when "CRUNK" step in the clutch, checked the revs to make sure I did not blow the motor. Then realized it may be tranny or driveshaft and not motor. Let off the gas and cruised down the ramp. Then 2 gentlemen help me push it to the parking lot. The haft shaft just sat on top of the IE exhaust and spun on it. Freaked me out. I'm gonna try to run longer bolts and use nylon nuts on back side. Have to bring by to Jeff at Ireland to see what I need.

For now I bolted it back in and checked bothe sides to see if others are loose as well.

Draco02

damn draco02 that is my worst fear. Did it flail itself around under there??

my M2 did exactly the same after I trusted someone else to swap in a rear subframe - except 2 bolts stayed half in and got bent up - smacked against the underside of the car but apart from the bolts no other damage - and I was pushing it at the time.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

No that is ok, I think we know.

Did it go on using the secret method?

i tried your secret method from underneath but i ended up doing it with my bare bloody hands. i went thru 3 clips but retrieved them with a magnet afterwards. i have so much extra crap in the way with oil separator and new harness etc that i had literally no room. i have sending units attached on top so unless i removed them i had to go from the bottom. feels like my hands been gnawed on by that coyote but its on finally. thanks for the coaching on the phone

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Okay Blunt and Bill. So what's the secret method? I just did this last week and ended up wedging something onto each side of the clip to essentially hold it "open" so it was easier to push on with some long nose pliers. Then, once on I just pulled out the wedges. What did you guys do?

Very similar but nothing is easy when the motor is in the car.

I take a long flat bladed screwdriver, wedge it under the clip and maneuver the clip in place and use the other hand to slide it off.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I did a search. Not saying that to be a jerk, but seriously.

There was a post about using a clip out of an E21. It was way easier. When I installed the Tii booster, this is what I did. Done in 10 seconds. Seriously:

Here's the post

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,287555/highlight,brake+booster+clip/

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.