• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differential mount replacement method question

Paul7002

I've got bmw replacement parts with the outer metal sleeve from Max/MT.

I've searched and this is what I find:

Find somebody with a proper shop press - OR - use a vise and two short pieces of pipe, one bigger than the other, to press the old mounts out, metal sleeve and all.

Use same method to press in new mounts.

I'm wary because it SOUNDS simple.

Any hints, clues, tips, from those who have done the job?

Thanks

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

Just did this on mine...took less than 5 minutes per side. First I put the member in a vice (a good and secure vice at that)...mounting it to where the vice face's met up with the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing. Next I used the remainder of the member as a lever and twisted it hard enough to break the metal sleeve and rubber and worked it around enough to completely rip the metal sleeve/middle of the bushing out. From there I used a hacksaw and cut the metal fitting (i.e. outside of the bushing). Next, use a drift and knock it out...quick, painless and very easy...no mess and smoke from burning rubber.

good luck

bill