• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guibo (or Giubo) question

Andy74tii

I am getting ready to install a new guibo, which I purchased from Bavauto. In searching the forum I found that most folks say there is an orientation with these things, involving direction arrows on the side of the guibo. I cannot tell if mine has these arrows, as there is a metal band around the circumference. I also know that you want to keep that metal band on during installation. So, it seems like a puzzle here -- how to get the right orientation without removing the metal band? Is there another way to determine right orientation?

Thanks!

FAQ Member #126

I don't know if a 8 bolt guibo is the same, hopefully someone will chime in. Here is here's pic of a six bolt guibo. Note that the rubber is thicker between alternating pairs of holes. The idea is that the thickest part should be in compression. If you hold the guibo as shown in the pic, the top right hole should be bolted to the output of the trans. The top left bolt should be bolted to the driveshaft, and so on and so forth. Think of it this way, if there were only two bolts, the torque from the trans output would be pushing the guibo counterclockwise, thus compressing the fat part of the guibo.

IMGP0996.jpg

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Having just done that, with an "8-bolt", here are my thoughts:

1) DO NOT remove that band prior

2) I do not recall seeing an orientation indicator

3) Spend the $$, replace the 8 bolts/nuts with OEM. While HD sells grade 8 bolts of proper length, you are hard-pressed to find the right nuts. Lock washers loosen up and will rub against the back of the trans housing, or worse, CATCH it and break things. Maybe someone knows of a sourcfe for those nuts.

4) REMOVE the band after you torque them bolt/nuts. If it flies off, there's a sensor with wires right there that will be mangled if you let "omega" do it's thing

5) Spend time making sure your 2 shafts line up, otherwise causing a rotational imbalance and potentially destroying your new joint.

Other than that, it's a breeze!