• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light rust in newly repaired gas tank - what to do?

im3crazy

Had the typical pinhole leak from a failed gas tank to body seal.

I checked out the tank and there was no sign of ANY rust or other damage- looked new. Then I had a local radiator company boil it out and braze repair the leak. When I got it back, it was a great repair, but it had a light rust coating in part of the tank.

What's the best approach? Can I remove the flash rust with a mild chemical wash, then fill the tank? (TSP, Evaporust etc). Or do I have to go all the way with a POR15 tank treatment?

Searches here showed a few similar questions, but no really good answers.

Tanks in advance!

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Dave,

I was thinking... Maybe something mild like vinegar that is pretty mild and easy to clean out to get the rust off. Add a chain to give it a little mechanical help while you swish it around. Rinse and dry with a heat gun or in the hot sun...

I also used some eastwoods metal wash in the past with pretty good results on bare metal parts. Not sure how it would do in a gas tank but it works pretty well for keeping the rust off of my welding projects.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Thanks for the ideas on this. I'll take another look, but I don't think it's flux spatter - seems just a light spotting- doesn't appear raised or bumpy, and it's light brown.

KC: Good idea on the vinegar, that would be mild enough. I was hoping not ot have to flush water in there, so the vinegar flush and fast dry might work. I thought if I gassed up right after the wash-out I'd be ok without doing any further treatment like a phosphate (TSP).

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!