• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rebuilding the front subframe, what do I need?

Turb02

I have the front subframe off for my project (with all suspension still attached) and want to know all the bushings that are associated with it? I want to replace all of them with poly and the sway bar with IE's bar. Im a little unclear of all the bushings in the front suspension and need help. A list from IE or any other aftermarket would be awesome.

What do I need?

Thanks in advance

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

Just call Ireland. They have a kit that has all of the front bushings, and a kit that has all the rear bushings. If you've got the subframe off, do the centerlink, and tie rods as well. I'd check play on the idler arm and change that one as well if it has any play. The last thing I'd look at is the steering coupler. Irelands site is pretty comprehensive though. This should be the part number 02frtbush for the bushing kit.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

I was gonna buy the front and rear kits from IE but I didnt think this covered all the bushings? Also gonna get the steering coupler from them. Just dont want to miss anything when I place my order.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

I was gonna buy the front and rear kits from IE but I didnt think this covered all the bushings? Also gonna get the steering coupler from them. Just dont want to miss anything when I place my order.

Nah, if I remember correctly that covered all of the bushings for the front end with exception to the strut bearing/bushing. Don't forget those steering components either. Mine were original to my car and I replaced them all. I ordered them in advance of pulling the subframe and am glad I did. I noticed there was play in a couple of points. If you're going through all this, I think it would be silly to not replace them.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

does a worn out steering coupler cause lotsa play in the steering wheel. mine is cracked all up and i have lots of play in my wheel.

It can yes, but there are a large number of things that will produce the same problem. Worn steering coupler, worn joints on your center link or tie rods, even worn ball joints, bushings, or strut bearings/mounts. I had what I perceived to be play while underway, but it ended up being my strut bearings. I didn't notice it really while the car was sitting still.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

and just not new bushes. If they are bent from being used as a jacking point, time to replace.

The new control arms with bushes already in, is not a bad deal compared to buying new bushes and pressing them in old control arms.

Sloppy steering an also be a sloppily adjusted steering box.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I would suggest that part of your rebuild include strengthening (particularly if it is out of the car) the subframe bracket that contains the mount for the steering box--these were very prone to develop stress cracks since the left engine mount bolts to the same member. This procedure involves welding in an additional plate for reinforcement. Sorry I don't have any pics to illustrate.

Haven't heard anything in a while....how's the project? My 74 is on the road as of 2/4/09 and I swapped all the bushings you are talking about. If you want to get together and look at the completed project, fire me an email or call 636-262-4281. I'm home til Sunday...

Jim

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins