• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood frame question

brendang2000

Hi all,

I got a question about the frame that supports the hood sheetmetal. What is the best thing to use to reattach the rails to the underside of the hood (epoxy, foam?)? My paint store suggested a product by 3M, but I wanted to see what everybody has been using and what kind of luck they had. Thanks!

post-1698-13667601265007_thumb.jpg

'76 Inca, restored to a roundie

Double sided sticky foam tape by 3m....

from a body shop, originally used to

attach emblems.

But it only works if the gap's pretty small...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

use the 3M VHB tape. The tape will not stick very well to un-clean, not properly prepped surfaces. Tolerance is less critical than cleanliness, as there are many thickness variations to the tape. The elasticity of the tape would allow the two surfaces to expand and contract at different rates, thus no problem with deformation on the outside of the hood or trunk lid.

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666y7fCOrrrrQ-

My trunk lid frame has come unattached. I might try a urethane sealant/adhesive (very Flexible) or a two-part acrylic. The two part is more surface insensitive (doesn't have to be as clean) but more rigid. I believe the more rigid the bond in this case the more likely it will cause exterior deformation due to differential expansion between the frame and the exterior panel.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007