• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Brush on" SEM vinyl dye?

CharlieG

Gruppe,

Apon scouring the archives for posts on SEM's vinyl dye, I found a few posts making reference to "brush on" applications vs the aerosol spray cans, but for the life of me, I can't find any place that actually sells it in a pint or larger non-aerosol container. I picked up a nice shape navy blue set of seats and rears with the cloth centers, and am looking to change it to black, I figure a "brush on" would be a lot easier than the aerosol method, but am open to other opinions.

Anyone got a good source for the non-aerosol apps of the SEM vinyl dye?

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

i've never seen sem 'brushable' dye...however some paint store may be able to custom mix sem's products but don't know for sure

i have bought quarts of 'sprayable' sem dye and also have tried to brush it on..the results are horrible...you'll get major streaking and lifting at overlaps

basically it'll look like crap resembling woodgrain

good luck

Well allright, how much of a PITA is it to do the seats with an aerosol can?

-Charlie

No problem at all. One thing nice about SEM is that if you act quickly, you can simply wipe off any overspray that gets on metal.

Picture attached showing before and after rear seat of mine.

post-123-13667600716089_thumb.jpg

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

I've used brush- on Leatherique for my E30 w/ good results.

For my '02 I also changed a gray rear E30 M3 seat to black this way and it looks good.

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Some pics of my work using spray dyes. All done by using World Upholstery dyes. BMW Beige. Chrome strips are 3m truck trims. Prep is very important. Clean and spray with vinyl adhesive promoter first. Spray several light weight coats. And as mentioned, rub it really hard with a lint free cloth.

post-2494-13667600725824_thumb.jpg

post-2494-1366760072793_thumb.jpg

As they've said above, I'm not sure about a brush on dye....but the spray can is super easy. I did this a while back to change my aging tan interior to black. Just scrub the crap out of the seats to get the old grime and oil off then spray away! I bought just the off the shelf dye at Advanced Auto Parts. I can't for the life of me remember the brand though, sorry. The seats/panels look great though!

post-14168-13667600734443_thumb.jpg