• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Weber 38/38 pros

wagnerf15

Got a question for ya. I got the new engine running after getting fuel delivery straightened out (I had an air leak back at the tank). Runs like a top, good oil pressure, no apparent leaks....pretty good, huh? My issue is I can't get the bitch to idle down. Details are 1) there is no mechanical reason, external to the carb, that is causing this. Idle screw off the stop, choke screw off the stop, car fully warmed up and choke butterflies fully open 2) got the 38 setup with the initial weber specs, each side screw in fully then out one turn...subsequent dicking with these screws has NO effect 3) I've run the distributor back and forth A LOT, and no effect. currently have the ball centered in the hole at 2500rpm.

Is there a retard button that I'm missing (I mean some button a retard like me would miss)? I can't figure out a reason I can't get it to slow down...usually I can't get it to run, so this is awfully strange to me. Any takers?

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

Peek down the carb-

I bet something is sticking your butterflies open. As you have it set,

it should seal up completely, and not run.

It is possible to unsynchronize the throttle plates- then the one that's all

the way closed would hold the other open enough to

make that happen...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1) is your linkage hooked up? disconnect it and see what happens

2) Vacuum Leak? get your WD 40 out and start spraying gasketed joints, hoses etc

3) Vacuum advance goes to the carburetor and not the manifold

4) is fuel coming out of the venturies at an idle (lowest speed you can go) yes? then the float level, fuel pressure is too high, or there is something in the needle valve.

Overseas Auto

Vancouver BC

1-800-665-5031

always on MSN z5551212@hotmail.com

www.overseas-auto.com

www.weberjets.com

www.piaalights.com

www.thejimhilton.com

I also need some help from you 38dges guys. My car idles fine but every time I make a stop, she shuts down. What adjustments do I have to make? I am also timing it at 1400 RPM's with my timing gun, is that what I should be doing?

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

check the fuel pressure coming out of the pump first. no more than 3 psi. we have a great regulator if you require one. You have to take the lid of the carburetor off and then make sure the float is level. This is with the tab just touching the ball on the needle valve without pushing it in. Ideally the float should be 35mm from the lid of the carb to the bottom of the float if it is plastic and 41 if it is brass. Limit travel of the needle valve to 2mm

Overseas Auto

Vancouver BC

1-800-665-5031

always on MSN z5551212@hotmail.com

www.overseas-auto.com

www.weberjets.com

www.piaalights.com

www.thejimhilton.com