• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine swap

Biemenstien

I'm getting ready to do an engine swap, is it easier to pull just the engine, or both the engine and transmission together? My Hayes manual says to pull both together. Does anybody have a better resource than a Hayes manual? Share your secrets and spare me any frustration I might encounter. Thanks.

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.

it's easier to pull them both together, but you need a leveling bar for your engine hoist. Well maybe not "need", but it makes it a whole lot easier. If you have access to an automotive lift, it's pretty easy to drop everything out the bottom too, you just have to disconnect the suspension and take off the brake calipers and hang them from the body so you don't have to re-bleed the brakes. Either way it's not an incredibly difficult job. Try pulling an S4 motor, that's a giant pain.

75 2002 malaga 2366231

'87 325iS

'98 Z3 2.8

'80 733i DD

Depends on what equipment and help you have at your disposal. I've pulled a few m10 engines by myself with meager equipment and found it was easier to separate the engine and gearbox prior to removal.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

in both scenarios, you have to disconnect all of the electric and plumbing.

Bottom Drop:

eight lug nuts = real easy

two brake line bracket bolts = real easy

four brake caliper bolts = not too bad

six bolts on the strut bearings = real easy

three bolts on the transmission = real easy

six bolts on the sub frame = easy

Pluses:

No engine crane needed.

No need to remove the hood = a real plus if you are not Michael Dubois. Aligning a hood on reinstall is a challenge.

No scratches

No need to disconnect the transmission from the motor.

Provides an opportunity to really look over the sub-frame and clean the engine bay.

Biggest winner for me is being able to couple the motor with the transmission before install and not having to align the hood. I have not been good at mating the transmission to the motor while it is in the car or aligning a hood, even with Michael's meticulous directions.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I discovered one of my boys bought an ATV/Motorcycle jack from Sears. Since it has something resembling a platform - we used that and it did help balance things a bit better.

We did one motor drop and plant with just a normal floor jack and as long as you keep everything balanced it works really well.

Here are shots of Mike Pugh putting in the motor in the orange car with a floor jacket. There is a creeper supporting the transmission.

In this shot you will see the struts hanging from the inner fenders. I did not like doing this as well as seen in the other way.

Notice here the car is raised and the motor is low.

Aug1425copy.jpg

Aug1426.jpg

Notice here the car is lowered and the engine is raised.

Aug1427.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Looks good, I have access to a shop with welders and lots of steel, I think I can put something together to adapt a basic floor jack for the job. Thanks for the pics it's nice to visualize whats going on. did you get all those new poly bushings as a set? if so where?

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.