• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWIN TURBO PROJECT (Bella & Chloe)

twinturbo

Edit - sorry for the partial hijack Alvin.. your twins are fantastic. Keep the updates coming.

Tony -

Looking to get rid of your ti already? I hadn't seen any updates from you since you put your cars in hibernation at your "secret" location. I've been waiting to hear what you were going to accomplish with the ti since you purchased it. If I cannot own one, I'll follow along in spirit while someone works on theirs.

I really like what you have done with this pair of turbos.

I have an original 1970 2002 ti, arguably rarer than a turbo. Even though they built ten times as many, there are very few survivors.

It is in need of the kind of restorations you do.

I would be willing to trade you my ti straight up for either of your turbos.

Think of the fun you would have bringing it back up to snuff!

Tony,

You may argue the point that there are few surviving 2002ti cars here in North America. This is due, at least in part, to the fact they weren't legal in the USA (due to emissions and safety regs) and enthusiasm --particularly here on the West Coast -- didn't actually exist -- except perhaps amongst hardcore racers and rallyists.

Consequently, there was little cache or prestige associated with the ti model.

Whereas, the limited-production 2002 Turbo, with its "boy-racer" bubble flares and ducktail spoiler stirred the souls of the automotive world and is considered an icon of automotive design and technology, helping to pave the way for mass-produced turbo-charged production cars by Saab, Volvo and others. (I'd mention the Corvair, but Chevy abandoned turbo'd cars in the 1960s as "impractical.")

So, if you *really* think a 2002ti is a fair trade for one of the 1500 or so 2002 Turbos, ask your banker for a loan on its (in your opinion) "equal-to-a-2002-Turbo-value" and see if you can "get 'er done" yourself.

D

P.S. Snuff? That's not what we call it out here in California!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To all, my offer to Twinturbo (this thread) was with tongue planted firmly in cheek, just to elicit a laugh or maybe just a smile.

On the other hand, it seems to me Alvin is building a collection of high-performance classic BMWs, and having two of the same, when a very rare vehicle could be obtained, might be worthwhile.

Sometimes it isn't just about the $ value.

Apologies to Alvin, and it seems I should start a blog of my own on the ti. Sorry for the hi-jack.

I'll delete these posts if you like.