• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass trunklid

Pierre

I am contemplating making a fiberglass trunklid with an spoiler. The idea is to attach the rear spoiler to the trunk lid, clean ands mooth things up, make a fiberglass mold then make trunklids with an incorporated spoiler.

Is there an interest for such an item? It will have to sell each lid for $425 in order to make financial sense, (I have to sell 30 trunk lids to break even) but it promises to be a quality item that will seal out fumes and water, will have enough structural integrity and still be lightweight.

I was thinking of doing a group buy, but I think, if I can get get a commitment for 10 lids, I can sell them for $390 each and then charge $425 for the subsequent ones.

Considering fiberglass lids sell for around $275 and a spoiler is another $200, and here , I can make both and the buyer wil not hassle with any mounting of the spoiler on the lid, it's definitely a better deal if you wanted a lid and a spoiler.

I am still contemplating the mounting options. (Pins, rubber strap, the stock latch. It will definitely be hinged and have a prop rod.

What do you guys/gals think? Any interest?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

If I can make a lid with a spoiler and sell it for $425, it would be cheaper than buying a lid for $275 and a spoiler for $210. That's $485 and you still have to mount the spoiler on the trunk lid.

The difficulty is the startup cost of making a plug and a mold which has to be amortized over several units.

If I can get a commitment for 10 lids, even at $390 a piece, I can go ahead and do the project. It would still take another 20-25 lids to break even but I can handle that. I can then make a profit on units beyond that. (I like to think long term.)

I am just gauging interest.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.

Ireland's fiberglass trunk lid, to the best of my knowledge, is for race applications - very light, no built-in support for hinges, latches or seals. I've got one on my race car, love it (well, except for the really windy days at Willow Springs when I remove it to add fuel . . .)

Sounds like the trunk lid with spoiler Pierre is describing might be for custom street or autocross / track day cars (?) Or as an alternative to a new steel replacement lid? Perhaps the real question is how many want the spoiler?

Just thinkin' aloud . . .

how many really want a spoiler? i only ask this because personally i like the look without one. maybe im the odd man out. i would be down for a nice quality non spoiler lid but im not big on the turbo spoiler look

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Ireland's fiberglass trunk lid, to the best of my knowledge, is for race applications - very light, no built-in support for hinges, latches or seals. I've got one on my race car, love it (well, except for the really windy days at Willow Springs when I remove it to add fuel . . .)

Sounds like the trunk lid with spoiler Pierre is describing might be for custom street or autocross / track day cars (?) Or as an alternative to a new steel replacement lid? Perhaps the real question is how many want the spoiler?

Just thinkin' aloud . . .

What I am proposing is a lightweight lid that will still have a hinge. It may be a replacement for a rusted out unit, or an alternative to someone who would like a spoiler. It will not be as flimsy as most spoilers out there.

From a cosmetic point of view, I prefer the non-spoiler look. But the spoiler is functional over 100 MPH. It creates downforce. Add a front air dam to reduce the air flow under the car at speed, and you will notice the difference. Of course, that would be for track use only.

The idea of a molded spoiler on the lid is attractive to me. It will not look as tacked on as the turbo spoiler tends to look and may actually look good.

Pierre

O==00==O