• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 featured prominently in new German oscar nominee film

lazerfred

Hey all --

There's a new movie coming out that features a 2002 prominently in one scene. The movie is called "The Baader-Meinhof Complex" and it's about the notorious Baader-Meinhof terroris group that terrorized Germany in the 1970s.

For those that don't know, the BMW 2002 was popularly known in Germany at the time at the "Baader-Meinhof Wagen" (B M W -- Get it?). It was a joke that basically alluded to the fact that they stole a lot of 2002s for use in their crimes.

Anyway, there's a scene about a third of the way in when a young terrorist named Petra Schelm and her partner are driving in a stolen 2002 and are cornered by the police. She ended up being shot and killed. It's a true incident that happened in the spring of 71...

But of course the producers messed up and used a later model 02 with the square headlights. Ugg. Square headlights in mid 71; they must have had a time machine. I told my brother and some friends about it, and they just looked at me like I was on crack. But of course visitors to this site would have probably picked it out a mile away too...

Anyway, If you want to read more about the Baader-Meinhof Wagen, you can read about it on my site about the group:

http://www.baader-meinhof.com/resources/terms/BMW.html

The movie is currently playing in the UK and should be appearing stateside in a month or so...