• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wiring harness options?

KB73

My wiring harness is in pretty bad shape and I'm looking at options for replacement.

I've done a bit of searching and it seems like my choices are limited. The original harnesses are NLA, a custom harness (say, from Rhode Island Wiring Service) would probably cost over $2500.

I'm leaning toward making my own. I know a couple of you have attempted this and I would be interested to hear about the process.

Are there other options out there?

what are you driving? I BELIEVE THE TII FRoNT HARNESS IS AVAIL AND SOMEONE HAD A NEW REAR HARNESS A FEW WEEKS AGO (KRIS)???

I'm driving (well, pushing really) a project 73. Thanks for the tip - I did a search for the Tii harness on real oem. So between the front and rear harnesses I'm looking at at least a grand.

When I re-wired the 72 a few years ago I spoke with RI Wire and visitied their place, more for components on my project than the whole harness as I had all ready purchased a 14 circuit micro circuit breaker Painless Performance kit from Summit. If someone had the cake and a desire The RIW folks can duplicate anything including the color(s) and gauge of the wire. Nice people.

The PP kit is first class quality wise. I mounted the fuse panel above the brake booster on a bracket I fabricated and it leans out to the front at about a 30 degree angle. You have to add a number of wires to the rear as the US makers and the Germans think differently about wiring cars. A significant expense is just getting the required style terminations. Get friendly with a Wurth guy. I do have some extra circuits Elec cooling fan, AC) which I pulled up into the area of the factory fuse panel and store them there under a cap I fabricated. The only factory wire I have left is the 12" pig-tail off the wiper motor and a few off the ignition switch.

It was an interesting project that took way longer then it should have but it is now done and all new wire. That is a comfort.

Doing the rear yourself is pretty simple, again, once you source the material, but I'd recommend just pulling the drivers side interior right out. Don't forget to add the third brake light wire.