• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I remove and replace belt trim on driver's door?

RSwannabe12

My driver's side door brake was bad and allowed the door to open so wide it pinched and bent the chrome belt trim on the driver's door. I have replace the door brake, so now it is time to fix the belt trim on the door. I have the inner door panel off so I can see the interior of the door, but it is not clear to me how the trim is removed. I don't want to bend it up or scratch the door removing it as it seems repairable, so I thought I'd get a little more information before proceeding, and searches did not produce answers.

I see one threaded nut holding the trailing end of the trim, and then little plastic fasteners coming through the door in a number of places. Is this just a matter of removing the threaded nut and then sliding the trim off, or do the individual plastic retainers going through the door have to be removed as well.

Thanks in advance,

Brooke

'72 M2

'69 911 2.8SS

'70 914-6 GT

'02 M3

remove the nut and then pop the trim off the other retainers - it's just a friction fit. Usually some of the retainers break, so you may need to replace them. This can all be done from outside the car - you don't need access on the inside.

Bill in MT

1969 and 1970 2002s

1988 735i

Yes, remove the threaded nut. I then used a plastic kitchen spatula and slid it between the body and the trim, popping off the trim from the plastic clips. I left the plastic clips in place and they held the new trim just fine. Good luck, I also tried to fix some big kinks in my trim and just made it worse, so i bit the bullit and bought new. I wrapped a piece of 2x4 with cloth and used it to gently tap the new trim in place. You can dent it if you just use the heel of your hand (I speak from experience).

Bill

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)