• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blowing number 6 fuse w/ odd effect

3elements

Electric Gremlin Gurus,

I've read the similar previous posts, but none quite apply. Here's what's going on:

1974 2002. It regularly blows the number 6 fuse which kills the turn signals, horn, backup lights and heater blower motor. My wiring diagram tells me the blower motor should be on the number 4 fuse (12-fuse panel), but I can disconnect the number four fuse and the blower motor works. The 6 fuse goes at random times - no pattern, no obvious "hit-the-switch-the-fuse-blows" cause-effect.

The hazard switch works, even with the 6 fuse blown. The PO had installed an Alpine radio, then disconnected the always-hot lead to it because it was apparently draining the battery. (The radio now only works when the ignition is on.) He says the fuse problem started then.

Thoughts and ideas about how to diagnose and fix this? I'd like to get this sorted before the winter weather hits and I lose the ability to defrost my windshield...

Thanks all

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

I had a pinched wire that did this odd behavior. It was back at the engine where I had bypassed temporarily the heater. I had ran a hose from the inlet to the outlet behind the engine and when the engine pushed back ever so slightly it rubbed and shorted out some wire.

Think of anything you have done recently and see if you can find a place where there are any pinched wires?,, that could short out under heavy acceleration, braking or turning perhaps, just a thought.

Found it! Was loose/dangling wires coming from the reverse switch on the tranny. When they swung they'd ground and short the circuit.

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

lift up and out the fuse box

disconnect all the wires on the under side of the fuses that BLOW

one by one reconnect , and switch on that device,

and isolate the component causing the problem,

and trace each wire to the consumer to see if the color

codes remain the same from fuse to consumer

disconnect all the bundle'0'snake wires that the P.O.

'instal?ed' and .....................

find the P.O. and ...........................

when in doubt ? FLUKE it out

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"