• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 2002 engine won't turn over

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

My 2002 broke down. The car starts with a jump and the battery was tested and held a charge. The ground (to engine) cable is looking pretty frayed up. I was thinking to replace the ground wires first, but I don't know where to buy them. I tried searching the net and bavauto to no avail. Are they universal? can i buy generic ones from Kragen?

If the ground cable is replaced I was thinking starter or alternator...

any help is appreciated!

Tommy

If the starter is moving the flywheel check your connections from the alt-if you jump from another battery and start--remove your battery connections and see if it runs on the alternator--if not your alternator is nfg. Always wise to maintain grounds everywhere. I'm thinking that your once tested battery is not getting recharged and you just run it out of juice in a couple of days----------hope this helps-Brent

Guest Anonymous
If the starter is moving the flywheel check your connections from the alt-if you jump from another battery and start--remove your battery connections and see if it runs on the alternator--if not your alternator is nfg. Always wise to maintain grounds everywhere. I'm thinking that your once tested battery is not getting recharged and you just run it out of juice in a couple of days----------hope this helps-Brent

thanks i'll try this. I'm planning on getting a new battery anyway, just trying to diagnose the problem first. funds are tight.

Still wondering if universal/generic ground wire kits will work or if they're car specific?

Guest Anonymous

scratch that last comment, Kragen was full of it. Ordered a new negative battery cable from Carl on thursday, received it earlier today (Friday). I just got done putting the new cable in, same problem arises.

What is the best way to troubleshoot my start-up issues? I'm not very car savy - just learning as I go.

As I said before, all things are pointing to the starter. When the car was running, when I turned the key it would take a couple pumps on the gas before it started and wouldn't start up right away. Now, when i turn the ignition it *clicks* and nothing -- any suggestions?

If it is the starter, are remanufactured starters no good?

Thanks in advance.

Tommy