• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lights problem...help?

shelby4130

Alright so Ive got a 76 non-tii that about a week ago started with some goofy light issues. First, my headlights only work when set to high beams, no low. Also, my gauge cluster bulbs dont work, but only the ones that light the guages. The turn signal lights and other warning lights work fine. And finally, my right side parking lights dont turn on. The blinkers work on the right side, but not when I pull the headlight switch.

I assumed/hoped it was the headlight switch and replaced it. Still a no go.

I also poked around under the dash and cant seem to pin point the problem.

Any suggestions?

you have checked fuses, right?

Seeing as fuses are about all I know how to fix on a 2002 right now, I've gotta agree. My 76 had ridiculously old (looking) fuses when I got it, and on the drive home one went out, taking one headlight with it.

So, after a number of other instances with other fuses, I just pulled them all and replaced them in one swell foop. At the time, the highbeams hadn't worked at all, and the fog lamps had been sputtering... Lo and behold, the highbeams work AND the fog lamps too.

cliff

Cliff

1976 BMW 2002 #2743711(glad I bought it 09/08)

I did the same and replaced all fuses not too long ago. I had checked that really quick and all seemed to be fine. But I just checked again and after removing and reinstalling fuse #2, I at least got the right side parking lights back on. The dash lights worked immediately after doing so, then crapped out again after a couple times of turning them on then off. (the parking lights still worked even after the dash lights conked out)

So now I am stuck with a headlight issue, which for all I know could be the bulbs themselves right??

(one swell foop????)

Nah, its the three relays right by the battery. One does brights, one does dims, and one does the horn.

Nobody ever knows which does what, but switch em around and figure it out. You could put the horn one in place of the dim relay for a temp fix.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser