• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Checking Transmission Oil level on 4 speed

SpetzNaz

Hello,

Having a little trouble checking the transmission oil level on my 4 speed (1971). Are you supposed to use a mirror to check the level? I find it hard enough just getting access to the plug, seems like you need to lift the front end of the car just to get access but then the level won’t be level :) ... Any advice aside from taking the car to a shop?

Also there seems to be oil dripping from the joint between the engine and the transmission (a drop every other day or so when not driving the car). Is this a common issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance!

jack the car up so it is level (front and rear) take out the filler plug on the tranny and stick your finger in. It should be just at the filler hole no more no less. As for the oil leak it depends what kind of oil it is. Could be from engine or trans. What colour is the oil, does it have a distinctive scent?

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

I agree with BingBONG - keep the car level while checking - ( 4 ) jack stands !

PLEASE DO NOT USE GL5 grade gear oils, or HYPOID gear oil in

the 4-speed ! use SAE 30, SAE 40 motor oils, SAE 75/80 GL4 gear oil,

or ATF MERCON for winter driving

and any oil leak is a good leak because that means you have oil PRESENT INSIDE !

And besides - what better way to preserve your rust

magnet than to have an auto oiler to spray the undercarrage ?

It's a good thang. really

You should be checking & changing all these oils once a

year anyway.

You'll never have a unit run dry if you adhere to

rigerous yearly maintainence. DON'T FURGIT THE

STEERING GEAR BOX !

02lubchart2.jpg

02lubchart1.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

jack it up a liitle - enough to get safely under it and loosen the plug. Then make it level - I can reach under it while it is on the ground, and stick your finger in the hole - the oil should be level with the hole. Alternativel, stick a funnel with a long tube down from the wiper area, into the hole, and pour in oil until it dribbles out of the hole.