• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Gas Gauge

momanace2002

I've been filling my 1976 02 up for the last month before it got below half a tank. On Saturday I drove the longest trip I've taken her on. I went from Santa Rosa, CA to San Rafael, CA; about a 45 minute drive each way. On the way back the gas tank went a bit below half a tank. Once it did is seemed that my gas gauge got all freaked out and would suddenly zoom down to "totally empt" then back to half full then it would dance around a bit. I could not figure out why.

It's not a bit problem and it's one I can live with as long as I remember to keep the car filled up. But I wonder if its the gas gauge it self OR maybe its what ever mechanism in the actually gas take that give the readings that could be the culprit.

Any ideas out there?

Expensive to fix?

Best,

Morris

Check the ground first. If that doesn't resolve the issue unhook and twist out the sender. On my 76 the aluminum tube surrounding the float had come loose causing the float to stick. I rebent the tabs that hold it in place at the top. There are a few screws on the bottom that hold it in place as well. This is also a good time to replace the O-ring, a couple of bucks from maximillian.

Good luck

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.