• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No sparky no starty!

new2the02

Yesterday I spent most of my day trying to install my pertronix i just got. In my 76 02 with blue coil. I also opted to change the wires cap, plugs and rotor at the same time. Car started just fine and ran pretty good when I got the timing right at idle. Then when I tried to drive it it had no power, and backfired a lot so I spent more time trying to dial in the timing to no avail because I didnt have much time. So I decided to pull all of it back out and reinstall all the old stuff including points. Now the car has no spark. I feel like a jackass because everything is hooked up exactly like it was and distributor is in the same spot as og. But no spark. I dont get it. Im not even sure what else to look for because I've spent countless hours on this trying to just get it running again. I need my car for work tomorrow. Any suggestions from new ideas?

Time to bust out the multi meter! Is the coil getting current from the ignition? Is the voltage alternating between 12(ish) and zero as the lobes open and close the points?

Any chance you've got the timing 180 degrees off?

Jonathan

Bristol 11/12/68

If it were me I'd carefully check the wiring between the dizzy and the coil, because that's what is different between stock and the installation of the pertronix. Maybe when you returned to the stock configuration you did not get the wiring connected as before. Just a thought.

Bob Napier