• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74tii distributor replace or rebuild

kubes

Ok after having trouble shoot why the engine misses on the 74tii, I believe I have a bad distributor. The vacuum retard is bad for sure, it leaks. Also the distributor wobbles a little when the car is running.

Can you buy just the vacuum retard diaphragm? Is there any in the North East that can rebuild 2002 tii distributors?

I have a few other distributors, how "bad" would it be to use them?

0 231 115 071 / JFUR4

0 231 170 164 / JFU4 (from a 75?)

0 231 115 072 / JFUR4 (from a 76 auto?)

I'd rebuild it. I've been trying to find even a worn '74 tii distributor so I could get it rebuilt, but I have not had any luck yet. I am using a '73 and I can't get the idle quite right.

I've been told that Precision rebuilds them (see link below), and I'm sure anyone who does Tii work could probably point you in the right direction.

http://www.thetiiregister.com/phpmyfaq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=220444&id=434&artlang=en

In the meantime you can use a '73 tii 008 or "rebuilt" version 002 distributor. It will run fairly close to stock.

Do NOT use any of those other distributors listed, if they are for a carb'd car the advance curve is too much and you will knock/ping like crazy with too much advance.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

just pick up the keyboard and order

a new mechanical advance distributor,

and be done with it - you don't need, and your wont

be able to tell the lack of vacuum advance.

If you don't set it with a timing light ,

nothing matters- you might as well fit a JohnDeere

distributor - your loosing power with guess work.

BAVAUTO - the longer you wait - the higher the price to

pay for powerful smooth running motor.

id48x.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

just pick up the keyboard and order

a new mechanical advance distributor,

and be done with it - you don't need, and your wont

be able to tell the lack of vacuum advance.

If you don't set it with a timing light ,

nothing matters- you might as well fit a JohnDeere

distributor - your loosing power with guess work.

BAVAUTO - the longer you wait - the higher the price to

pay for powerful smooth running motor.

id48x.jpg

This distributor does not have the correct curve. Its close, but its not 100% correct, especially for a '74tii

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Guest Anonymous
Ok after having trouble shoot why the engine misses on the 74tii, I believe I have a bad distributor. The vacuum retard is bad for sure, it leaks. Also the distributor wobbles a little when the car is running. Can you buy just the vacuum retard diaphragm? Is there any in the North East that can rebuild 2002 tii distributors? I have a few other distributors, how "bad" would it be to use them? 0 231 115 071 / JFUR4 0 231 170 164 / JFU4 (from a 75?) 0 231 115 072 / JFUR4 (from a 76 auto?)

Your post leaves me confused. If the vacuum retard is bad, plug it up and run without it. Your best bet for performance would be to replicate the distributor of the prior years.

The fact that your distributor wobbles is far more troubling. How is it wobbling? Are you speaking of the shaft, the body, the rotor? The distributor was not made to space age tolerances and given its analog design, there is a tremendous amount of lateral play in the upper shaft. Is it also possible that the rotor does not fit snuggly? I would take a timing light to determine if you can get a rock steady timing mark. If you can, the wobble as you describe it, is inconsequential.

You mentioned the other distributors you have. Any one of them could be pressed into service to get your engine to run well enough to drive. Obviously, these other distributors will not provide optimum performance. However, they can sure demonstrate the difference between a worn distributor and a tight one. I would have no hesitation to use one of these other distributors as a core to rebuild your tii distributor. The only practical difference is the centrifugal advance mechanism including weights, springs and supporting apparatus that lie below the points plate.

Determine what is wrong (if anything) and cannibalize the parts you have!