• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my rebuilt head

Freddie

Figured I have made enough comments on the board, now I should share as well. My race head just came back from Morgan's Machine in Walnut Creek. It sucked a valve in the #2 hole and needed to be rebuilt. I also added a set of VAC rockers and VAC performance valves. The cam is a Schrick 316. All the maching and porting was done at Morgan's I'm super happy with the final product considering what it looked like when I gave it to them!

post-13713-13667596181197_thumb.jpg

post-13713-13667596182006_thumb.jpg

post-13713-13667596182795_thumb.jpg

post-13713-13667596183613_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous
I also added a set of VAC rockers and VAC performance valves. The cam is a Schrick 316. All the maching and porting was done at Morgan's I'm super happy with the final product considering what it looked like when I gave it to them!

Your head with new valve gear looks too pretty to run! I have a few questions.

I am not familiar with the rockers. What are they made of? There appears to be a hex head fastener on the edge of the rocker that meets the cam lobe. Does this mean the shoe or surface that contacts the cam is serviceable/replaceable? Are they rollers or just stationary? Is there not a danger of the fastener loosening so that you might loose the contact area? The stock rockers appear to be friction fit, but I have never thrown one.

What is the composition of the locking stops on the rocker shafts? How are they superior to the stock washer/spring combination other than they look much nicer ?

Thank you.

The rocker arms are made of aluminum, and the pad is replaceable. The rocker is not a roller rocker, its the same as the stock rocker but much improved. Vac sells the pads for defferent cams(stock, reground, Schrick, ect.). There is no danger of the adjustment coming loose, Porche has used it for years and I've been told at high rpm they hold the clearance longer. I usually have to chase the valve lash at the track, adjusting the valves at leat twice a day with the stock rockers. The rocker locks are aluminum and I use them because at high rpm the rocker arm can walk down the rocker shaft against the stock spring.

The spring retainer failed(pulled the valve locks through the center). After pulling apart found three more spring retainers about to let go. I was using titainium retainers from Crower(that were for a VW), the retainers had about 5.5 hours on them from new before they let go! I'm back to stock BMW locks and retainers, they have never let me down!