• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? on crank vent

penth2o

Hi folks,

My 74 Tii has a hose going from the valve cover to the air cleaner box. There is a slight film of oil in the center piece of the box. The two ends with the horns that house the two filters are clean. The end closest to the windshield (2 inches before the horn) has a tiny hole from the factory on the bottom of it as if it was made to drain down and out. When this builds up enough to flow, it drains down on top of my brake booster by the stop light switch.

Is this normal??? I waded through tons of search articles but it seems that every one in there pertained to carbureted vehicles and people were putting on either a filter straight off the valve cover (eliminating the hose) or a catch bottle mounted somewhere.

If this is the way it came from the factory what would be the reason to pump oil into the air cleaner box.

Is there a cure to stop this. It is not much oil at all and I guess I could wipe it down every time I change the air filters but, I guess I’m wondering if this is normal and should be this way.

Thank you for your time.

Joel.

Picture2.gif

{EDIT} I looked on a maximillian site and it looks like there is a jet or filter in the valve cover vent hole. I will check tomorow to see if mine has one in there. If mine is in there is this still normal. It is number 7 in this pic.

valve-1.png

yes - it's POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION

and your on the right track - a drain hole is provided for oil and

water to drain - normal, and the white plastic 'jet like orifice'

stuck into the cam cover outlet is a oil seperator and venturi

to promote good vapor flow - being drawn out of the motor,

to be reburned back into the intake, which also helps the planet,

and do not install a 'round K+N like filter' because that causes

blockage of crancase venting = BAD. YOU DO need to wipe out the

air cleaner, throttle housing at your oil changes - THATS why they call it

routine maintainence. Glad your paying attention to your cars good health.

Lay hands on everything OFTEN which prevents things falling off,

catching fire, or worse. The car is 36 years old! Dat's like 90 years for

your body ! how many doctors do you think you'll be seeing weekly

when your 90 ? Your tii has a good friend - keep the trust.

tiimotortransparent.jpg

02m10tiimotorventingtransparent.jpg

02emissiondia1976.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks C.D.

That explains everything. I didn't want to add a K&N or a catch bottle. (the purist in me).

I figured that they designed it that way but I wanted to be sure that nothing funky was going on. I'll replace that jet and wipe it out more often.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the clips that hold each horn on would you? Looks like my Brother in law used cotter pins to hold the clips in place.

Thanks again C.D.

Joel.