• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Bolt Oil Leak

brianstj

My machinist informed me that the rear driver side head bolt hole normally has oil pressure running through it. I am getting a leak around the head bolt that is filling up the pockets next to the distributor housing. I was planning on putting some silicone around the head bolt washer. Any thoughts/experiences on this?

Brian

'72 2002

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

I actually goop a bit of silicone around the head and washer of that bolt.

But it really shouldn't leak- check all the surfaces, yep, change the washer...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hello,

Just went through the same thing of sorts.

I sourced Loctite 562, a high temp thread sealant, thoroughly cleaned the threads to remove all traces of oil and then used the sealant to replace the studs.

Cheers

Jane

Jane Loveshack 008 73tii s/r 5spd suspension techniques spring, kybs

Guest Anonymous

I have never seen anything more than a minor "weep" from the subject bolt. A torqued head bolt with a clean straight head bolt washer should completely seal the bolt.

The manual does not make any allowance for permatex or thread locker, nor have I heard or this except with the use of aftermarket studs. I guess if it works, the next question is for how long and are there any unintended consequences. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone on this board "O"ringed the head bolts too?

Different strokes!

I was informed that this particular bolt hole normally has oil pressure running through it. With good bolts/washers and proper torqing it stays sealed up. I had the washer installed flipped over from the previous installation - there was a little bit of a ring impression left from the bolt, and I had this side sitting on the head. I flipped the washer over and added a thin layer of black silicone to the washer for good measure (based on advice from a couple different sources). Everything seems fine now, but I will definitely keep an eye on it for a while.

Another interesting thing I learned - if you are running ARP head studs instead of bolts, you have to seal the threads on that particular bolt.

Brian

'72 2002

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i