• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fair price on auto 74' with 112Kmi, original, Pac coast car?

Bentworker

What do you guys think? I don't really know what they are going for these days. I'm located in a rural area, about 250 miles away from any major city.

Today I was out at a farm that is owned by the friend of the family. I spotted an automatic sahara 74' sitting next to the barn with a wooden pallet leaned up against it.

It has some body damage, nothing scary, just looks like it was rubbed in a parking lot on the passenger side (rear quarter and front fender).

It is an AUTO (yuck).

Has 112,000 miles on it (awesome!).

Interior is bone stock, is sun damaged, but no rips.

The paint is toast on the wheels.

The paint on the car seems to be original, somewhat oxidized with no visible repairs.

Window gaskets are in typical crappy condition.

Has the normal 2002 interior "funk", along with worn carpet, and what looked like some salt air damage to the trim.

All original, the only thing I noticed missing was the flex tube from the exhaust manifold to the thermal reactor thingy , and that it had an after market 1970's Sanyo radio.

It was a one owner car (deceased mother of the family that owns the farm). It was kept garaged on the Pacific coast near Eureka CA, is in good shape for a car that has been sitting. It was a coast car and it has been sitting outside for 4 years inland at the farm. I poked around and found no rust in the usual spots on the nose, front fenders, rocker panels, trunk, or shock towers. The only rust I noticed was a small spot of rot on the drivers door near the window trim. I would want to dig around a bit more if I get serious with the car. The son now owns the car is looking to get rid of it, but has some emotional attachment to it. They hinted that they would like it to go to a good home, but I have no idea what price they may have floating around in their heads.

What do you think?

If I could pick it up for less than $1200 I would consider getting it just to have a stock 02' to run around town in. I'm sure it would need the fuel system, the brakes, and the fluids serviced just to get it going again.

The only problem is that I know if I buy it I'll want to tear the auto out and do a 5 speed conversion, but I shouldn't ... Does anybody have a daily driver Auto? How do you like it? Is it a pain to keep on the road? I have no idea what a 2002 auto is like, is it any fun?

Thanks for your opinions (no matter how f'ed up they may be : ) )

way way less than $1200

infact less than $600 because it's a non -running,

non driving, in need of every mechanical repair

known to 02's - it realisticly has ZERO value as it sits now.

Do you have that much time, MONEY, a dry indoor

space to resurect a Automatic 02?

how does it shift ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I think that most any car has a sort of "default value" of about $1k. You can sell/buy pretty much any car that is in less than reasonable shape for about that much. I would price all the things you need to get it running, and subtract that value from $1,000 and you probably have a fair price. If it doesnt work out, you could probably part the car and get more than $1,000 anyways. Hell, the guys in California will pay you a couple hundred just for your VIN....

Regards,

Chris

Guest Anonymous
What do you guys think? I don't really know what they are going for these days. I'm located in a rural area, about 250 miles away from any major city. It is an AUTO (yuck). Has 112,000 miles on it (awesome!). Interior is bone stock, is sun damaged, but no rips.

The paint is toast on the wheels. The paint on the car seems to be original, somewhat oxidized with no visible repairs. All original, the only thing I noticed missing was the flex tube from the exhaust manifold to the thermal reactor thingy , and that it had an after market 1970's Sanyo radio. What do you think? Does anybody have a daily driver Auto? How do you like it? Is it a pain to keep on the road? I have no idea what a 2002 auto is like, is it any fun?

Have you been reading the posts on this board? Ever use search the archives?

You state the car is equipped with an AUTO and exclaim "YUCK". Yet, in the same post, you state you have no idea what a 2002 auto is like and wonder "is it any fun?" Why ask for an opinion if you already have your mind made up? What is the particular relevance of the 70's era radio? Is it quadraphonic? Are you buying the car or a radio?

There are several people on this board who have daily driver automatics. They evidently ALL dislike them. A car with 112k miles can be very low given the vehicle's age - especially if it is rust free. Barn (farm) finds can be trash or treasure. Maybe the car was treated with creosote from Eureka? Or, maybe it only made one trip into the Pacific Ocean?

Drive the car for yourself and make up your own mind what is fun? There a lot of things only you can decide. A little common sense goes a long way!

I would start at $500 and work my way down depending on the physical condition of body and salvageability of parts. The good thing is this is a 74 and smog exempt. Need some pictures please.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

What are you willing to spend?

You're going to have to do a lot of work to that car just to make sure it's safe.

New rotors: $80

New pads: $40

Brake hoses all around: $120

New Calipers? $200

New shoes: $50

New drums: $80

Brake bleeder?: $60

Brake Fluid: $10

New coolant hoses: $120

Coolant: $10

New spark plug wires: $40

New spark plugs: $20

New points: $10

New TIRES? How old are they? $200

New Battery:$100

New fuel lines? $30

New fuel filter: $10

New transmission filter:$30

Transmission fluid: $10

Trailer it home: $100

Those are costs you can count on..that's over $1,200.

What about the surprises? water pump, radiator, master cylinder, etc.

Figure out your budget and offer what you can. If they won't take it, remind them that you will take care of the car. If not, they can e-bay it.

John in the Columbia River Gorge

1976 2002 Chamonix/Navy - SOLD

2001 330i

As far as I know the car is not running right now, but I could be mistaken. It looks like they got it home to the farm, then just let it sit. I do hate coast cars, this one lived it's life in Loleta, CA (which is slightly inland). Except for the rot spot on the top of the drivers door it seems solid, but who knows what is hiding.

I do know it will cost time and money to get it road worthy again, I've had a few 2002's over the past decade. The appeal to me is that it is just bone stock. I'd like it to be a practical, reliable, round town car.

CD!

You have probably driven several 2002 autos, what are they like to drive and work on? I'm not expecting anything fantastic, a golf cart would do for getting to and from work.

Reference CD's and EWN2002's posts above: they are right on. Whatever you spend on the car should be looked at as an investment in a hulk. You won't have ANY fun in this thing at all (auto or manual) until you invest a lot in the cats and dogs that will HAVE to be replaced to make it safe, let alone run. I guarantee it'll be fun after you get it roadworthy.....2002's all are (IMHO) so the auto vs. manual is really a secondary consideration (I always prefer manual, however). You probably know all this if you're a previous 02 owner. So, if you feel like spending EVERY free penny you have for a while and investing lots of time into a wonderful piece of automotive history, I say go for it......but negotiate the smallest possible price to begin with. You'll need it later

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins