• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Injection Conversion

devo1

I'm about to start the conversion of my twin carb M30 block 73CS to fuel injection using a 1981 528i as the donor and as part of that I will be going to a full digital distributor-less ignition/fuel management system. Several manufacturers are available but my preferred would be the SDS ( http://sdsefi.com/ ) EM-6F since I live one hour from their shop in Calgary.

Any experience and comments on any of these systems (Wolf, SDS, TEC) would be much appreciated.

TIA

Doug

76 Sahara 2002

73 CS Polaris

84 Tucker Snocat!!!

Have you considered Megasquirt? Two advantages are that it is inexpensive, and that it's open source - nothing proprietary. Great support from the online community. I'm really pleased with mine, and I haven't heard any negatives. Now if you're looking for someone to do it for you and provide "turn-key" than maybe one of the proprietary systems would suit you better.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

I'm also looking at Mega squirt but my computer skills are only slightly better than my abilities with electronics. I can wire a house but not a car. The complete package concept of the commercial systems has a lot of appeal.

76 Sahara 2002

73 CS Polaris

84 Tucker Snocat!!!

If you can wire a house, you can wire the megasquirt components. I wouldn't recommend assembling the MS unit, you can buy an assembled unit from companies such as DYIAutotune. You can buy the wiring harness from them also. It really is quite simple after you study it a bit.

Man, I hate to imagine what you're going to pay for a turn-key solution using a proprietary system. What, north of $5k?

Good Luck!

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

The basic package:

The 6F system, shown above, controls fuel delivery and ignition timing on even fire, 6 cylinder engines to 9750 rpm. Its crank triggered, direct fire coil pack replaces both distributor type and OEM distributorless ignitions. It is programmable in 250 rpm increments with 64 boost retard locations available for turbocharged engines and ignition retard under nitrous activation.

The standard F delivers a powerful, long duration spark and is suitable on engines with specific power outputs of up to 200hp/L. The 6F comes complete with coils and crank trigger. Fabrication of a crank sensor mount and installation of trigger magnets is required.

Base system prices USD: EM-4 6F- $1700

I figure all in with some of the add-ons like wide-band o2, knock sensor etc will get me to $2500.

Doug

76 Sahara 2002

73 CS Polaris

84 Tucker Snocat!!!

I can tell you that from MY experience, the Electrimotive Tec3 is far more complicated to program and tune than any version of Megasquirt.

Last I knew, the Tec3 ECU was 1800.$ and the Megasquirt is around 200.$

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades