• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 article on MSN:

"Believe me. Put aside your childhood dreams of a 2002 or an Alfa spider and try the 1-Series convertible or coupé. You won't be disappointed."

NEVER!

As much as I enjoy reading about 2002's , and how they relate to the new 1 series I would hardly say:

"The 135iM is simply better in every way than any previous generation BMW".

It may be better in a lot of ways, but it's not a drivers car. You can't wrench on your 1series, like you can with a 2002, and when your suspension " doesn't soak up the bumps like the 135iM" you can actually FEEL the road.

IMO, the 2002 was simply the best BMW ever built. A true drivers car.

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

we are in a hotel just outside a podunk south illinois town 20 miles north of carbondale (SIU homecoming week--all carbondale hotels are full) and i just went to get jenna some cigarettes. I drive into the town and stop at the first gas station/convenience store I see and this TOTAL redneck looking dude with trucker hat and raggedy denim vest, tatoos, the whole package gives me this look as I walk inside wearing my Obama '08 hat, and i figure its about the hat. But I pay for the smokes, and as I'm leaving, he says, hey, man, that is a REALLY nice little car you got. and we get into this few-minute conversation about it. turns out he has an old 510, but always wanted an 02. nice dude, i tell him its for sale, but he isnt in the market.

also on the drive over here, just as I got to the exit off I-57 and was about to change lanes to get ready for the exit, this minivan I passed before comes up in the right lane and I'm thinking, hello, i need that lane! but the woman driving it gives me a great big smile and a huge enthusiastic thumbs up. I smile and wave back and she pulls away as i drift behind and take the exit...

no modern car gives you these life experiences.

edit (to the first story): and as i get into the car and drive away, i am thinking to myself, this lil car is pretty rough, missing trim, buckled-up passy door, ratty seats, etc.... but people still seem to like it. ;)