• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting mechanical clutch

Trackmagics

Any tips on adjusting mechanical clutch? With the clutch fully depressed I cant get into any gear without major grinding. Just got in another used tranny and am hoping its a clutch adjustment problem. I messed around with the adjustment nut that pushes the clutch lever for awhile but wasn't able to adjust it correctly.

Any tips or ideas appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

All clutches are mechanical. The question is is the throwout bearing operated by a hydraulic cylinder or with a lever, operated with a linkage. Hydraulic: the cylinder may be shot? Mechanical: the throwout bearing or actuation arm inside the bell-housing may be broken. (this goes for the hydraulic too).

Poke around and see if you can get a clue.

Good luck

all 1600s and 2002s with VINs below 1665200 (approx build date March '69). The 1600s have a mechanical linkage; the adjustment is in the pushrod that goes from the pedal linkage to the withdrawal fork that holds the throwout bearing.

The early 2002s have an adjustable pushrod that connects the slave cylinder to the withdrawal fork. However, from experience I found that I went over 90k miles before I had to adjust mine--in fact it wasn't until then that I discovered it was adjustable--you normally don't find an adjustment on a hydraulic clutch...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

all 1600s and 2002s with VINs below 1665200 (approx build date March '69). The 1600s have a mechanical linkage; the adjustment is in the pushrod that goes from the pedal linkage to the withdrawal fork that holds the throwout bearing.

cheers

mike

I believe the problem is in the adjustment of the pushrod connecting to the fork, but after loosening and tightening the adjustment nut I have still not been able to solve it. It seems as if the clutch wont fully engage in order to get the car in gear without major grinding.

play as shown in the manual, and the tranny still grinds when you try to engage a gear (this presumes an all mechanical 1600 clutch, not the adjustable hydraulic one on the 68-early 69 2002s), then it may well be clutch time. Either the disk is worn past adjustment, the throwout bearing is worn, and/or the withdrawal fork is worn. You should also check all the pedal-to-fork linkage pieces for wear; a little slop in the linkage translates into greatly increased lost motion at the fork end. On the hydraulic linkage, the same can be said--if there's lost motion in the hydraulics (leaky cylinder) you'll have the same results.

You might be able to postpone the enevitable by placing washers behind one end of the pushrod, or even making an extension to get that extra few millimeters of movement. But...all thing being equal, you probably need a clutch.

cheers, and sorry 'bout that

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

play as shown in the manual, and the tranny still grinds when you try to engage a gear (this presumes an all mechanical 1600 clutch, not the adjustable hydraulic one on the 68-early 69 2002s), then it may well be clutch time. Either the disk is worn past adjustment, the throwout bearing is worn, and/or the withdrawal fork is worn. You should also check all the pedal-to-fork linkage pieces for wear; a little slop in the linkage translates into greatly increased lost motion at the fork end. On the hydraulic linkage, the same can be said--if there's lost motion in the hydraulics (leaky cylinder) you'll have the same results.

You might be able to postpone the enevitable by placing washers behind one end of the pushrod, or even making an extension to get that extra few millimeters of movement. But...all thing being equal, you probably need a clutch.

cheers, and sorry 'bout that

mike

Thanks for the reply. I am going to mess around with it a bit more and try to figure this out.

The clutch had zero problems before I put this new (used) tranny in the car, so it's making me have doubts that it is a bad clutch. Are there any chances this is a bad transmission or does it sound solely like a clutch issue?

Hope its not a third bad transmission, I might just give up on this car.