• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

:( Radiator Woes!

sublimefan187

Hey All,

Well, I buckled down and purchased the "Bavauto" Radiator Upgrade. This has been my second bad experience with their product. The first time they didnt even send me the correct lower hose! Well, after the install last week, she sat for a few days, and I finally pulled the car out of the garage and took it out for a nice day. After a little bit, I had to stop at a store, the hint of Antifreeze was in the air, I didnt think too much of it though, as I had a bit spill when I poured it in. I wrote that off as some simply cooking off. Once I took off again, I noticed the temp needle getting up there, fluxuating a bit. I stopped and pulled over to notice a bit of coolant in the bay. I started poking around and saw a few hose clamps a bit loose, so I tightened them up, added some more coolant, and went on my way back home. I went back out an hour or so later (before I got in, I looked for more leaks and saw none). I was going to Advanced Auto to look for some reverse lights. I bought my lights, and when I came back out, there was a huge puddle under the car! I popped the hood and it was pouring out of the radiator! It was physically spraying out of the fins, which was alarming. I quickly phoned my nearest flatbed and had her towed to safety. Any thoughts? I think I have a bad motor mount, and was thinking that the fan may be making contact with the radiator. My engine does shake extremely violently under any conditions, and the vibrations are felt throughout the car. It has polyurethane throughout, and thats why I wrote that off as possibly a side effect. Sorry for the length, but I am sad! Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

When you say the fan might be making contact with the rad, what makes you say that? Is the area in front of the fan all scratched up from the fins? May be its a bad radiator. I assume yours is still under warranty so you should be OK.

Good Luck,

hamada

Edit: make sure you fill it up properly. Check a few times after a refill.

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

Chris,

When you say the fan might be making contact with the rad, what makes you say that? Is the area in front of the fan all scratched up from the fins? May be its a bad radiator. I assume yours is still under warranty so you should be OK.

Good Luck,

hamada

Hamada,

Exactly so. When I took notice of the condition of the radiator, the fins were bent in places that I had not noticed them to be bent prior to instalation. I am unsure of Bavarian Autosports warranty policy. I had purchased a radiator from them for my car a few months ago, and they had asked if "antifreeze had entered it". I am unaware of whether this is a condition for return/refund/exchange. All I know is, I know think OE may be the best choice!

Regards,

Chris

Radiators get dinged during install. Fact of life. Any leaks at the dings ?

I would have to tend to agree. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this particular product? There was definitely coolant spraying from one point toward the bottom of the radiator. With no light, it was hard to tell whether it was coming from a bent fin etc.

Well, more in...hot off the presses. The radiator is clearly an issue, however, I noticed milky oil on the dipstick! The head will be removed, and I guess I must pray for the worst. I will put the cooling system on hold and begin to address the issue of the engine. If its not one thing its another! Just got done with almost $3,500 in bodywork! I will keep the updates in. I will know more tommorrow.