• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting Motor - Block/Head/Valve Cover

MrNvgtr

1. Is there a color code for painting the block? I see some interesting smurf blue or orange colors and I'm just wondering if that means anything or if it's the color of a special paint brand for motors. Clue me in.

2. Post up your photos of your newly refreshed and painted motor. I'm trying to get some ideas, specifically for the valve cover.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Guest Anonymous

I raised this question last Winter when I was cleaning up my engine bay. The consensus, I believe, was black block, silver head and valve cover were the original color pattern. However, there seem to be many creative variations, especially in valve covers. Whatever rings your bell, just use high temp paint. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

2. Good thread on this in the past here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,284728/highlight,paint+engine/

I am leaning toward some kind of silver metallic with a clear coat, or maybe even all polished. I think simple is better because I'm going to have enough eye candy going on with the AN fittings and shiny TWM intake parts.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

black block standard and the rest of it just raw alloy finish. Wrinkle coat for valve cover is one of the best things to do. Looks SHMICK!

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp